Homesteading Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2004 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,120 Posts
Paul Simon posted it to his social media. That’s very cool. 😃

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,926 Posts

"John Lennon released his LP titled "Imagine" on Sept. 9, 1971. The album was more heavily produced in contrast to the basic, raw arrangements of his previous album, the critically acclaimed John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. The album is considered the most popular of his works and the title track is considered one of Lennon's finest songs.

In 2012, Imagine was voted 80th on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". "

·
78,926 Posts
Eric Clapton plays guitar on this track.
They used studio effects to make it sound "more-Beatle-y" and less like Clapton:
On Sept. 6, 1968, The Beatles' George Harrison was heading in to London for a recording session for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". His neighbor, Eric Clapton needed a lift into London, so George offered to take him. George had a different idea though.
Harrison wasn't happy with his own guitar tracks on the song so while driving, he asked Eric to come to the session and do a track on.
Clapton at first refused, saying that "nobody (famous) ever plays on the Beatles records!" but George insisted. Clapton came in and the invitation has its intended effect: the band members were completely professional and Eric's solo sounded great.
As Clapton was listening to a playback, the thought his solo wasn't "Beatle-y enough," so the solo is run through an ADT circuit with "varispeed", with the session engineer manually 'waggling' the oscillator: Engineer Chris Thomas has recalled: "Eric said that he didn't want it to sound like him. So I was just sitting there wobbling the thing, they wanted it really extreme, so that's what I did." The effect sounded like the guitar was run through the Leslie rotating speaker of the Hammond B-3 organ cabinet.

·
78,926 Posts
I like the Santana version as little better.
I don't recall ever hearing a version I didn't like. ;)
This is one of my favorites:

·
78,926 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,988

·
78,926 Posts
If he keeps practicing, he's going to be good one day. ;)

Reactions: Farmer Dave

·
78,926 Posts

"The thunderous backbone to Led Zeppelin’s sound went silent when John Bonham was found dead Sept. 25, 1980, effectively ending the band as an active unit.

The drummer had consumed an estimated 40 shots of vodka the day and night prior at rehearsals for the band’s upcoming North American tour which was announced exactly two weeks earlier and scheduled to kick off less than a month later. Put to bed just after midnight at guitarist Jimmy Page's house in the south England town of Windsor, Bonham would be found lifeless the next afternoon by sound engineer Benji LeFevre and bassist John Paul Jones.

“It was like, ‘Let’s go up and look at Bonzo, see how he is,’” Jones said. “We tried to wake him up … it was terrible. Then I had to tell the other two … I had to break the news to Jimmy and Robert [Plant].”

Police arrived at Page's residence but ruled out any suspicious circumstances – it was just an unfortunate mishap. The coroner would later issue the inquiry verdict that the death was accidental due to “consumption of alcohol.” "

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,994

·
78,926 Posts
Today would have been John Lennon's 80th birthday.

Reactions: mreynolds

·
78,926 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,998

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,000
The YouTube algorithm strikes again

Wow!

1981 - 2000 of 2004 Posts