Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have music in your lives?What music?Do you find it necessary for a happy life?I remember when once a week,many families would get together and have food,music and the joy of each other's company.The children were always welcome with fun food,play and games.The parents would perform home-spun music,have a few cold ones -or not- and just enjoy some time together.This was in the 50's and early 60's.I know church have some great music and I am not knocking church.What I mean is just getting together as people and enjoying life.Someone would play one instrument,while someone else would play another and,together made music!My description doesn't do those times justice...Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Absolutely! My oldest is a very good pianist, we would often sing around the piano before he moved out. We still do on holidays. I also play Hammered Dulcimer, and my 2nd plays banjo - but with him in college we don't get to play much together anymore. My younger two are learning harp and violin, so I play along to accompany them a little.
I also play Hammered Dulcimer and sing on the praise team at our church.
Dawn

·
Registered
434 Posts
We do that occasionally, have some friends that are really great musicians (I however, am not one of them. Although I would like to learn to play the piano). Even if we don't have live music when we're getting together with friends, the radio is always on. Music is a huge part of my life as far as singing and listening goes though.

I often wish that we did have more live music going on when we all get together. It's great when it does happen. We often go to see friend's bands play at different local places though. Does that count?

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
acoustic, electric, bass guitars, stand up bass, piano, banjo, keyboard, set of drums and now they are threatening bagpipes!~! i can play the radio and sometimes get the cd player too work! gave all my talents too my kids, can't carry a tune in a paper bag too save my soul!

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Always. In both my family growing up, and hubby's as well. DH's dad made fiddles, DH makes guitars. DH and I have played and sang in many different bands over the years, and house parties regularly have home grown music. So, I guess my answer is yes, it's definitely a natural part of our lives.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Neat thread...BTW, one of my music "memories" was from church but prob not how you would think of it. OUr old pastor had 8 kids, several of which were teens and DH was the youth pastor. The pastor's kids were EXCELLENT musicians, so they were kind enough to do worship before our youth meetings. I still hear those songs in my head and remember what great fun we had w/ those kids!!

Also, my entire family (except me, go figure) is musically inclined. My grandma plays piano by ear and never had formal training, but is VERY talented. She used to play "I come to the garden" while my mother and I sang together. That is a very treasured memory of mine. Then there is "Christmas in Dixie". At Grandma' s it wasn't Christmas until we broke out the Alabama Christmas In Dixie CD!!! It was the first Christmas CD I bought after I was married and every year our family decorates the tree w/ it playing in the background.

I could go on and on about how special music is to me and in how many different ways (worship, memories, emotions, etc), but we'd be here all night. Suffice it to say, yep, music is a big part of our lives.

Rachael

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Dh plays guitar, I play fiddle, and dd has been playing fiddle, but she is thinking she wants to switch to mandolin. Last winter we got a little bored so we grabbed a galvanized tub, an old mop handle, some loose hardware, and some weed eater twine and made a tub bass! I also play some Irish pennywhistle and bodhran (Irish drum).

We do a lot of the typical front porch picking, play at our church and other local churches (we're scheduled to do a tent revival in August), the occasional nursing home, farmers market, etc. We play fairly often with other friends and family around here also.

We do mostly old time, lots of gospel, some bluegrass, a little Celtic, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All three of our children play the piano. They each have an additional instrument that they love as well. We have a daughter who plays the clarinet, another the guitar, and our son plays the violin. Our daughter who plays piano and clarinet is begging now for a flute. We do sing all of the time, doing dishes, yard work, working in the garden, and whenever the urge strikes. Music does make us happier.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yep, a piano, a child who plays flute/piccolo, a child who plays trumpet and a percussion kid (bells and a brand new big studio drum set). We have a guitar though noone can really play.

We have friends who the dad of the family plays guitar and has a beautiful voice. We cookout on the river, and have music after eating, around a camp fire.

Life is good.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
I couldn't be without my music. I play piano, guitar, NA flute, and have been known to fiddle and play mtn. dulcimer. I don't tend to get together with friends to play these days simply because of so much going on. I would be lost without my music, honestly.

Brandon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts