Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Reptyle, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

Who here grows'em? What kind do you grow? Is it for personal consumption or to sell as well? If you sell them how's the market for them and where do you get your best results? What's some good sources to research this material? Thanks in advance!!

2. River Rest

River Rest Home-Insteader

Good questions. I've been looking at the mushroom kits to kind of wet my feet in growing them. Anybody ever tried them?

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Mother Earth News had a big article on them this summer.

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I would love to grow them. The only kind I can find are the spawns or log kits. My dad told me about a tv show he saw in which this guy was growing them in an old dresser drawer. That is how I would like to do it. It seems drilling holes in wood is way too labor intensive for me. I have tried the kits in which they sell you the log covered in sawdust and spawn. It worked well but pricey and a one time deal.
    Will love to hear some answers.
    Steff

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I bought a mushroom kit a few weeks ago. Where I come from, they come in a plastic-lined cardboard box which is packed with 'straw', which has a white fungus on top. Also in the box is a bag full of peatmoss, which needs to be thoroughly soaked, and spread over the top of the straw. In a couple of weeks, mushrooms begin appearing. According to the directions on the box, the mushrooms continue appearing for 2-3 months, at an ideal temperature of 20C. It's early days yet, but I've already had around 450g of mushrooms, and more coming up. (That's a bit over 3/4 pound.) These are just the ordinary 'field'-type mushroom, which are about $AUS8 per kilo in the supermarket, and the kit cost me $12. It remains to be seen whether I make a saving or not, but having fresh mushrooms 'on tap' is very nice!

6. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Reptyle, another place you could try that I'm sure has some experienced mushroom growers is on the gardenweb forum. When you are at the site click on the "market gardening" link and search on mushrooms. You might get some good info and contacts over there. Here's the link: http://www.gardenweb.com

You could also try and get a copy of Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stametes. I just checked on the title at Amazon and they have a great deal going on used books. I bought mine new because all of the used ones were about the same price as new. Looks like they have come down in price even on the new book. Tons of information on growing all types of shrooms. I've considered growing ----akes, but the upstart, you know. I doesn't seem like too many people stay with this endeavor for more than three or four years. I'm not sure why no one stays at it longer, but ----akes grown organically can bring about $8.00 lb fresh the last I checked.

Hope this helps some, and good luck.

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I am fortunate to find mushrooms by foraging in clean wild areas that are close by in the woodlot and meadow/pasture areas, rather than growing them. I find several varieties thoughtout different seasons and they are organic, in fact, 'nature' (naturally) grown.
    It is an interesting study to learn identifying them and what conditions wild mushrooms grow under. The cultivated forms that are sold like chanterelles, oyster mushrooms, and 'button mushrooms' (field mushrooms) are high enough priced that foraging makes it worthwhile and it is less frustrating than growing your own. I can see trying to grow some in the basement during the winter season when I can't find them from about December to March. The other option is finding enough wild mushrooms to dry, can, or pickle to store and tide over until they can be foraged again. Of coures, the spring Morel is one of the highly priced ones to pick. I look at the wild growing ones as a form of 'cultivation' simply by leaving areas wild where they grow and understand what makes them come up when they do. Many mushrooms are typed by the kind of trees that their rhizomes incorporate with and come up the same places year after year. Wind is a factor when they fruit, as to where new spore deposits will pop up new mushroom growing areas. So, one can sort of 'farm' their woodlot/pasture/meadow for mushrooms and alleviate problems associated with cultivation. Unless, one is cultivating and selecting. for quantity, and that might be a different story.

8. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I bought a button mushroom packet off of ebay for $3. Suppossed to grow for months. It says to plant in chopped straw and peat moss. Keep watered and thats it. I haven't got around to planting it yet but I will soon. Button mushrooms are almost $3 lb here!!

9. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

When I was a wholesale sales rep for Associated Grocers in Denver, we bought large quantities of "button mushrooms" from 2 fellas (partners) near Colorado Springs. They grew vast amounts of these mushrooms in a "controlled environment" inside a very large old "mine shaft".

They had "Quite A Business" !!!!!!

10. chicky momma

chicky momma Well-Known Member

I have a friend who grows ----akes and oyster mushrooms on logs in his backyard. Not sure exactly how he does this but assume he started with a kit. But don't think he buys new every year. He doesn't do anything just waits for conditions to be right and they grow. I sell them for him at the farmers market. The ----akes especially sell quite well. He also forages for others but can't sell thoughs without lots of licenses etc... Lisa

11. Gracielou

Gracielou Member

I raise the Shiitake mushrooms. Got the innoculated dowels. Didn't take any time at all to drill the holes. Cut the logs into 3' sections-they are easier to handle when you soak the logs in water. You drill the holes, tap the dowels in and then seal. Let the logs set about 8 months or longer. The logs soak in water for 24 hours then are set back out. About 8 weeks later the mushrooms start popping out.
    In Kentucky the extension offices have given seminars about growing shiitakes. They are promoting them as a product for farmers markets. I raise mine for my use only but I can see how they would make a good item-they require so little effort. The most work is just drilling the logs and tapping in the dowels.

12. heritagefarmer

heritagefarmer Belties are Best!

Did they come from UK?
    can I import to Canada do you think?

13. rileyjo

rileyjo Well-Known Member

heritagefarmer,

here's the address of a Canadian Mushroom Nursery (is it called a nursery- a fungery perhaps?) I have their free catalogue and it is well written and very informative.

Western Biologicals
    Box 283
    Aldergrove, BC V4W 2T8
    (604) 856-3339
    westernb@shaw.ca

14. heritagefarmer

heritagefarmer Belties are Best!

Thanks!
    I'll give it a try.........

15. poppy

poppy Guest

We had a guy started a business growing mushrooms in an old brick building a few years agonear here. His biggest problem was with other molds and fungi. He grew it to the point he was shipping hundreds of pounds per week to a wholesaler in St. Louis, but the last I heard, some of his employees were having health problems from inhaling all the spores. Some sort of lung disease. The small grower wouldn't have these problems.

16. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

I grew buttons in a box and loved it. I plan to do it bigger and better in new house. They are so sweet and juicy when they are fresh. I hardily recommend it for mushroom lovers. But be prepared for a ton of mushrooms. We had them in everything we ate just to keep up with the production. yum