Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The morels are starting to come on strong now in much of the midwest. Found a nice mess a couple days ago a nd we had bacon, fresh eggs, fresh fried morels and toast for breakfast. Went out again this morning and found another big bunch. Might just have a full meal of nothing but fried mushrooms. 馃榿

Great time of year of an outdoors person. Mushrooms, turkey hunting and the fishing is coming on strong.

Premium Member
It's been a few years since I found any. Morels and asparagus in a garlic butter sauce would be wonderful!

Registered
I haven't found any for years either. Oddly enough we lived at a spot for 5 years. Saw morels one time and harvested what we could. Never saw them before or since. There is some wonderful chicken of the woods on a dying ash on our property but it isn't in season yet.

Registered
It鈥檚 a tradition around here to go morel hunting. The next town over from me has a festival every spring. Only a one day event this year due to that deadly Covid thing. Ahem.

The volunteer fire department puts on a steak dinner in the evening. I was surprised the first time I went as my steak was one of the best I鈥檝e ever had! I don鈥檛 know how they make them taste so good grilling them in mass. They usually sell about 7-800.
I鈥檒l admit I鈥檓 not a mushroom fan, but morels do have a different taste to me. It鈥檚 the only mushroom I鈥檒l eat.

Registered
It鈥檚 a tradition around here to go morel hunting. The next town over from me has a festival every spring. Only a one day event this year due to that deadly Covid thing. Ahem.

The volunteer fire department puts on a steak dinner in the evening. I was surprised the first time I went as my steak was one of the best I鈥檝e ever had! I don鈥檛 know how they make them taste so good grilling them in mass. They usually sell about 7-800.
I鈥檒l admit I鈥檓 not a mushroom fan, but morels do have a different taste to me. It鈥檚 the only mushroom I鈥檒l eat.
Wow, that's really cool!!

Registered
Man, if it was half as far, I'd consider going to that!! It's been years since I've had good morels throw a good steak next to 'em and who could resist?
3 hours from Waukegan (where I used to work). It鈥檚 a beautiful drive once you get out here. Come on up!

Premium Member
How do you fix yours? My grandma used to fry them with eggs. Pop dips them in flour and deep fries them.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I split the larger mushrooms long ways and leave the tiny ones whole. Dip them in a little egg / milk wash, then dust them with flour, salt and pepper and fry in iron skillet with hot vegetable oil and part of a stick of butter until brown. Bacon grease is better for frying if you have it handy.

They're also great thrown on top of a pizza, in some spaghetti sauce, saut茅ed in butter on a steak, or just about anyplace you would use normal mushrooms.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The last two days have been on fire, picked 4 & 5 pounds respectively. Up to approx. 12 pounds total for the season. Eating a bunch, putting some up in freezer and giving lots to family and friends.

Registered
Kind of dead around here. I don鈥檛 think it rained all the month of April here. We got 2鈥 yesterday, so mushrooms should be popping up now.

Registered
Score! Dropped some junk off at my sister in laws farm this evening
596C3835-0F42-4600-9122-899654AB0C14.jpeg
. They were morel hunting on their land yesterday. She gave me a pound for delivering her things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts