Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to having my horses on my property (boarded at a facility up until this point) and I have a few concerns now that they're here.
I live in the Pacific Northwest so tons of rain is normal :) But the ground gets really wet, and not only am a worried about horses hurting themselves in the holes they've maid in the soft dirt, but I'm also worried about the mushrooms.
Half of the horses pasture is a forested area with dence fir trees. Over night, hundreds of little pin sized mushrooms popped up out of nowhere after a stormy day, and there are so many of them I can't even begin to pull them out.
At first I was just kicking dirt over them, but when I kept finding more I realized that would take me days. The horses haven't shown any sign of wanting to eat them (they probably can't even see them) but it still worries me. Has anyone else ever delt with this before? I'd love some advice.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Although some mushrooms grow naturally, it sounds like yours are probably growing due to the wind blowing dirt over downed tree limbs/branches because buried wood will cause mushrooms to grow. We've had the same thing happen due to rotted off fence posts, and the horses and cows have never offered to eat them that I know of. I know we've never lost a horse to strange circumstances/poisoning. As far as your horses hurting themselves in the holes they have made - it's always a possibility, but shouldn't be that big of a problem unless something or someone is chasing them and has them in a state of high panic. We've had horses for most of my life, but we've never had one get hurt or even fall due to wet, slippery ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, that is probably how they're growing. Its good to hear your horses have never tried to eat them. I didn't think they would, but I just wanted to be sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
Very few mushrooms are poisonous to horses. If you're concerned, either posts pics here in the hopes that someone can ID them, or take them to your local extension office and see if they can ID them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very few mushrooms are poisonous to horses. If you're concerned, either posts pics here in the hopes that someone can ID them, or take them to your local extension office and see if they can ID them.
That's great to know!!! Thanks!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top