mushrooms

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sunnygrl, Dec 21, 2006.

1. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

do any of you raise mushrooms?... I keep seeing these kits in the catalogs and all i can think of is how perfect our basement would be for this...( we have a VERY MOIST basement... will hold a couple of feet of water year round if we didn't have a sump, city has come to the conclusion that there must be underground water nearby. :shrug: anyway... I would hate to buy the kit and spend the money, for invisible seeds :rolleyes: , and then not have them come back.... could a person, per say get this kit and make a bed and not pick the shrooms, just let them spore out perhaps with some kind of tent over them to avoid having the spores go everywhere. Is this a feasible idea.... ok...opinions for and against welcomed... :baby04:

2. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    We have grown the mushroom kits before. They are easy and fun. We have done the portabello and the shiitaki kinds, plus a few years ago we did the white "regular' ones.

Basically the shiitaki kit is a log made of sawdust that has been compressed with spawn. All you do is soak it and mist it and the mushrooms grow on it. It likes room temperature.

The other mushrooms are a box full of innoculated, pasteurized horse manure. All you do it water it and it grows mushrooms. Again, it likes room temperature. The portabello ones need light to turn that nice brown color.

It's not like you turn "invisible seed" loose in a dark place! It's a small garden in a box!

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I've never had much luck with mushroom kits. At most I get 3-4 mushrooms, and that's it. Possibly it's because I can't keep the box cool enough. They like a temp of no more than 22C to do well. So if ever I try again, it will be in the winter, here in the subtropics!

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I just happen to "know" that one of these mushroom kits will be under my tree this Christmas. I am looking forward even though I have no idea how well it will work. Lezlie, will the mushrooms regenerate? Can you use the one kit and have mushrooms for a number of years?

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We purchased a Shiitaki kit to give as a gift this year, so, hopefully, it will work out well. If so, we might buy one for ourselves. We'll keep you posted.

6. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    Valent,

You'll just get about three "flushes" of mushrooms from the kit. You'll get a flush every couple of weeks. It varies by type of mushroom. What is most important is to not overwater. That can really mess things up. As in no mushrooms. Oh, and you're going to need a spray bottle to mist the kit with. A recycled one is okay as long as it is clean.

7. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I've been wanting to try the portabella kit. Maybe in the spring.

Kaza

8. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Well, I got a portabella kit and have started it along. I plan on misting with a kitchen sink sprayer(I have it set up in our laundry sink>)

9. madness

madness Well-Known Member

I spent $100 on kits last year and got exactly zero mushrooms. Not really sure what happened. I followed the instructions to the letter. One kit I was supposed to leave in a warm dark place until little teeny mushrooms appeared. This never happened. For another, I put the kit in the fridge for a day and then in a warm low light place for a week and then to a slightly cooler brighter place and that’s where it was supposed to mushroom. This one got really moldy so I can assume that I over-watered it. I also tried inoculating a log with the little pegs. This is an interesting method – you take an old log and drill holes in it and then press these little pegs of sawdust and spores in. After a year or so, the whole log is full of mycelium. Then you induce this to fruit (mushrooms are the “fruiting body”) through various means. Unfortunately, I used an in-ground stump for this (recommended for certain varieties) and moved last month! Hope the next renter enjoys mushrooms!

So I either just had bad luck, or they are harder to grow than you would think, or I ordered from a bum company (Fungi Perfect, by the way). But I am still not deterred and will try again.

What company have you ordered from and successfully grew mushrooms from? Just in case it was from bad kits, I’d like to try someone else.

10. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you do this indoors or outdoors?

11. MICHAEL B OHIO

MICHAEL B OHIO Well-Known Member

how about morels I have lots of creek and a small woods I have searched and searched and did not find any. thanks Mike

12. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Well, I am pleased to say I have harvested my first mushrooms from my kit yesterday. They grew very quickly once they started. They were quite tasty. I grew mine inside the house.