Mushrooms - Anyone find any fall mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by terri46355, Sep 22, 2006.

1. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

I recently moved to the Missouri Ozarks and am wondering if anyone is finding sheep head (cauliflower, hen of the woods) mushrooms in this area? They grow by red oaks in Indiana.

If so, where do you find them?

They are my absolute favorite type of mushroom and they are the only type I've been able to can successfully.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Are you really interested? If so, I’ll have to check around. The freight cost for the washer at Lehmans was $150. I bettcha it’s going to be close to this price for freight from Minnesota to Tennessee.

Are you talking about the mushroom in the photos below? We call these “Chicken of the Forest” or “Sulfur Shelf” mushroom. They are VERY good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We've had chicken of the woods and giant puffballs so far this fall, but no hen of the woods yet.

Lynda

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Now that we've had some rain the Meadow Mushrooms are starting to pop up. Not much flavor when you eat them fresh, but make a wonderfully rich mushroom powder when dried.
    Fall Chanterelles should be showing up in the woods soon.

5. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I picked 3 good sized hen-of-the-woods about 4 days ago.

6. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Between the wild hogs and armadillos, we don't find mushrooms very often. I would love to get a batch of morrells. They are the only ones I know for sure. Too many evil twins for me to trust the others.

7. poppy

poppy Guest

I don't know of any poison mushrooms that grow up on trees. There are some bad ones that grow at ground level around trees. Some of the ones on trees are too hard to eat or don't taste good, but I have never heard of a poison one. Chicken of the woods pictured above is easily identified by its yellow or bright orange color. Several varieties of oyster mushrooms are common here.

8. dale

dale Well-Known Member

9. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a good book for identifying mushrooms? We have been seeing various kinds all over our new farm but have no idea what is safe. There was a huge roundish white one out in the pasture yesterday that had me thinking that I needed a good mushroom book!

10. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Missouri Dept of Conservation has a booklet on mushrooms in Missouri but i figure they are the same most anyplace.
    Do a Search for MDC and Mushrooms publications.
    I gave the link in my upper post. Probably has information on the book
    dale

11. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms is the best in my opinion. It lists mshrooms by shape, has good photos and tells wether they are edible, Choice, not edible, poisonous, deadly so on . It also ID's mushrooms that are similar so you can cross reference them.
    Last weekend we found some bolete (sp) many shrimp mushrooms and some chicken of the woods. Back when the blackberries were in, I found more chantrells than I could pick. I have a good supply of those dried now.

12. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

The poisonous Jack O' Lantern mushroom grows on decaying wood, stumps, base of trees *usually*, but one must be adept at positively identifying any fungus, and NOT only from the fact of where it grows.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2005/11-9/jack.html

13. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

These are what I am looking for.
    [​IMG]

I went out today and saw 3 that were about 2 weeks too old. Now I know when and where to look for them next year!

Thanks for the advice!

14. scott

scott Well-Known Member

so what's this thing??? i found while walking around today.

[​IMG]

15. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I've been kicking over inky caps by the dozen the last few weeks. They are growing all over my lawn! I know they are edible, but I'd prefer if they would grow in the woods!

Pete

16. poppy

poppy Guest

I'm not familiar with hat one. The cap shape is common in some of the clitocybes and entolomas, but I have not seen that color. Did you happen to notice if it had gills or pores under the cap? Color variations can occur for many reasons.

17. poppy

poppy Guest

That is very true. We have Jack O' Lanterns grow here by the thousands in the fall if the weather is right and they are often in lawns or fields. Some people here do eat them, but most people get an upset stomach from them. I never was hungry enough to try them. :)

18. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

dale, thanks for that link - it's great!

19. scott

scott Well-Known Member

i believe it is gilled ... there was a bunch of them.

20. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

I'm loving this thread ... :)

Anyone know what this is? Found this and many others growing in the fallen leaves on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. They smelled bad!

[​IMG]

Thanks!