7,576 Posts
I seem to miss finding hens of woods early enough to pick,
But I see them after.
Around here this time of year I find pine boletes and several
other types of boletes, chicken fat suillus, chanterelles,
puffballs, coral mushrooms, bluits, and some various other edibles
like lobster mushrooms. Some are better than other for
preserving by dehydrating .

Rain yesterday so should be good picking till gets cold.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I had a 'chicken of the woods a la king' at a small restaurant last year, it was very good!

I've found exactly ONE morel here, but see boletes all the time. I don't know exactly what kind they are (they don't bruise blue, those are supposedly poisonous) but I cut a tiny piece of one and fried it up - bitter! So disappointing.

We have lots of other mushrooms around, but not chancing any of them.

·
in memoriam
6,352 Posts
We haven't gone mushroom picking, yet. Each Fall, we pick Chanterelles. Since we now live in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains, we will have a wider variety of mushrooms to pick.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I tried hen of the woods about two years ago. They tasted to me like chewing on a pencil. I was so disappointed because I adore mushrooms! I sure hope yours are better, BRP!

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Oyster mushrooms now found several pounds growing on
a rotting poplar log. Also my favourites yesterday a small bunch
of yellow chanterelles. They smell just like fragrant apricots.
Also after rain I found other chanterelles smell like anise and
Some coral mushrooms that I like eating with eggs.
The less common spicy comb mushrooms I found a few to
round out my outing.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh we have Chanterelles, Corals and many others but I found some that I really liked. Black Trumpets.

big rockpile

Reactions: gweny

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I have some of those black trumpets growing in my window boxes! I was wondering what they were? Thanks!
From what I understand there is no look a likes. They are fragile but have a great flavor.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
BRP- you're showing us "chicken of the woods"(sulfur shelf) And talking about "hen of the woods. It's 2 different things and they look nothing at all alike.

Where on earth do you find chanterelles this time of year? I think the latest I have ever found them was September! Love to have some about now.

Wade

OK, My bad! Should have looked at the dates!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BRP- you're showing us "chicken of the woods"(sulfur shelf) And talking about "hen of the woods. It's 2 different things and they look nothing at all alike.

Where on earth do you find chanterelles this time of year? I think the latest I have ever found them was September! Love to have some about now.

Wade

OK, My bad! Should have looked at the dates!
Ok I know the Date but I thought Sulfur Shelf too but this is a lets say in between Sulfur Shelf and Hen of the Woods, more tender than Sulfur Shelf :shrug:

My wife Canned some and was surprised how well they held together.

big rockpile

1 - 17 of 17 Posts