Mushroom Maniacs! Identify These Please!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Boleyz, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

We've had some cool wet weather for the last 2 weeks...When I went out to mow, here's what I found.

So, What do I do with these? Mow em down or fry em up?

The first ones (nice shot of my shadow too) look like thin-crust pizza on the edges, and are kind of thin

[​IMG]

These look like puffballs, except for the big one, wheich resembles an umbrella.

[​IMG]

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of the 2nd photo in folks' yards around us.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

the ones in the lower photo are very poisonous! stay away from those! :nono:

4. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Those on the bottom will kill ya that is a Amanita mushroom or Jack O lantern. Those on the top a called LBM's or little brown mushrooms. their are many of look a likes in that class so don't eat them. Period. If you still feel compelled to eat what will most likly kill ya save some for the rescue personel so they will know what killed ya.

Puff Balls don't have any stem. don't even eat them if you can't identify them for sure.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

The little boy shouldn't even touch those. There could be poision residue from the mushroom and if hand goes to mouth is NOT good. dangerous! beware! poisonous! toxic! Don't even think of putting any of that in your mouth.

6. dhodges

dhodges Member

WHAT THEY SAID !!!!!! Bottom photo is definitely bad, probably fatal. Top photo is LBM's, "maybe" good but who knows till they try. (DO NOT TRY) Stick with known ones, Morels, Shaggy Manes, Chantrelles etc. there's usually more of them anyway and easier to identify~. Moonwolf correct, toxin is very potent and WILL transfer from skin to mouth, maybe other places~. Educate son and dissapear shrooms. Interesting to note that the little critters look the same in KY as here in NE Wa. State..... (shrooms, not kids) Dave

7. MELOC

there are many members of the amanita family. at first glance i thought they were "destroying angel" but the brown on top is throwing me off. "destroying angel" are found most everywhere except the desert. there are other poisonous members of the amanita family...i think most members of that family are. steer clear of anything that looks warty on top and has a veil ring on it's stem. they also resemble puffballs when the are young as they grow a vulva on the ground that eventually forms into a stem and cap. the veil remnants on the stem are a part of the vulva and a clue to the species. moonwolf posted some creepy photos of how similar they are to puffballs on the plant ID thread...please go and take a look. puffballs should be sliced and one should look for traces of the cap and stem inside the fruitbody before even thinking of eating them. the alkaloids found in these things are very poisonous. they affect the liver and kidneys and there is really no antidote save for a blood transfussion. the damage done is most likely permanent and dependant on the amount consumed. beware of the amanita family!

8. Boleyz

I wasn't going to eat any of them anyway, I just was curious as to what they were. You guys have given me quite and education...Thanks!

9. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

10. MELOC

according to what i read from the linked mother earth thread, these may be a lapiota mushroom...i am not very familiar with those. i think some are poisonous and some are not. better safe than sorry!

maybe a close-up shot would help?

11. Boleyz

Green-spored Lepiota (Chlorophyllum molybdites)

These grow in pastures and lawns, which is where those big white ones are.

I went out and pulled one. They don't have that "cup" at the ground level as the deadly amanita's do.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mushrooms/mushroom/poisonous.htm

They look mostly like this one at the bottom of this page.

They also look identical to these:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10436
    Scroll down to the second picture on this page...

At any rate, they do have fine white gills and that's a no-no for beginners from what I've read...

12. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I didn't post all the pic's, but there was a cluster in the tall grass at the edge of the field that look brown on the top, similar to the first pic's posted on this thread.

Tried to get a spore print, but they were done by the time I got back.
    New batch comming up are softball sized on (Monday).
    P.S. I've heard the "gills, kills" also.

13. paden

paden Well-Known Member

There are very similar Lepiota siblings that have a white, brown or purple spore print so don't depend on a guess without a print. At any rate, they are all poisonous.

The top photo is virtually impossible to ID here...A couple ideas....
    Poplar Trich
    Giant Clitocybe
    Willow Milky
    Lacerated Stropharia

Most of those live under trees, are there conifers or poplars close by?

Just a couple ideas, A person would need much better and closer pictures to get a better idea.

14. Country

Country Well-Known Member

I like to take pictures of mushrooms when I am hiking in the mountains. I never touch them as I know didley about them. I looked for morrels but didn't find any. I know they are edible and they are pretty easy to distinguish from the others. Any idea if these two may be from the same family as the ones Boleyz posted?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

After the soggiest August on record, it's hard to walk anywhere without stepping over some type of fungus right now including those that Bolyz has. Near our community gardens, we've got a "fairy ring" about 10' across. With a widely diversified group of people with garden plots, some know what they are doing and certain types vanish quickly. I was watching a nice puffball the past 2 days and thought about placing a wheelbarrow over it. Too late as someone got it today!

Martin

16. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I call them Toadstools & I assume that they are probably either extremely poisonous or just slightly poisonous. Get rid of them before your dogs or livestock decide to sample them.

17. paden

paden Well-Known Member

Country...

The top one could be scaly pholiota. Are there aspen, birch or similar trees above?

There are too many to guess about the bottom one. To narrow it down I would need pictures of the gills or underside, also what kind of wood it is on.

18. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I am positive the white ones are not amanita. Looks like one of the lepiota, it is good to err on being too careful, but lepiota are good to eat. we always found the brown ones and breaded them and fried them whole. are the stems of the older ones hollow? are the undersides of the old ones kind of pinkish?

the top ones look like from the russula family. I bet you can peel the skin back really easy. some are very good and some give you stomach cramps. No need to freak out over mushrooms. just leave them alone. they have their place.

19. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

It is very difficult to know some of the deadly vs. some of the friendly without a spore print.

Stay away.

20. paden

paden Well-Known Member

Tabitha...

There are at least 8 different genus of Lepiota, there could be more than a dozen. 2 of those different shrooms are edible, all the others are poisonous, a couple are deadly. So in general, Lepiota are most definately not good to eat.

My guess would be that you are eating Meadow Mushrooms which are very good and sound like you describe.