Muscle Car Lovers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by COUNTRY WISHES, May 29, 2005.

1. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

The new Dodge Charger is just starting to pop up at some larger Dodge Dealers.

Saw one today, it was black with a real nice finish to it. It is a big, long car. The front is very cool looking, DH called it "mean". It had a kind of Batmobile feel to it. It has four doors which I know some purist are not happy about but you hardly notice them with the clean lines of the car.

The vehicle we saw was already sold before it came in. I know DH and I have a friend who loves the old Chargers we'll have to see what is take is on the new one. I suspect he will be owning one soon.

2. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Well if you saw my post over in "what do you drive" you know I'd probably fall into the muscle car lover catagory. I've mixed emotions on the new charger. As a car it seems pretty nice. Lots of fun and in general I'd like to have one. However, the use of the name charger on a 4 door car with no styling cues from the original car seem assanine at best. It seems that those under 30 won't associate the name with anything at all, and those over 30 will compare it unfavorably to the orignial. Just doesn't seem any reason to use the name. Should of just called it the dodge Rampage and be done with it (since they seem so fixated on both the word and putting the ram truck styling into every new car they produce). It would save them a fair amout of heartache.

J

3. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

Oh no! No! I hope that my husband doesn't see it! We will go deeper into debt if he does and likes it. We had a 1970 Dodge Charger RT, black with a white racing stripe. It was 1 year old when we got it, formerly had been run at the drags and was still equipped (built up) high powered. He loved that car. Had duel quads, a hemi and 4 speed racing tranny. He tried to teach me how to drive that thing and what a mess that was. I ended up sitting on the side of the connector trying to make it "go" but could only manage to sit there smoking up the tires. Cloud of smoke all around me, people staring, lots of noise---I'm sure you know what I am talking about. I couldn't get it to move ahead. I was so embarrased. Finally he told me what I was doing wrong and we took off, literally. Up the side of the road we went leaving 2 long black strips behind us and lots of noise. I hated to try to drive that thing! I was used to my car, a Chevy 6 cylinder in a little '64 2 door sedan. Not much power but enough for me. When I finally got used to the Charger and was able to drive it I rarely would take it anyplace because everytime I did some guy/guys would come up beside me and try to get me to race. Yeh, right. Not me. I'm one of those who drive the speed limit. Still, it would be fun--------Nah!

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

When gas gets to 5 bucks a gallon, your guzzling chargers will be permanently parked in the pasture, a relic of a wasteful age.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

If you still had a real hemi car you wouldn't be in debt! Some original hemi cars are bringing over 100k today from collectors.
    $5 a gallon gas won't stop people from enjoying true muscle cars, many are paying that now to run their cars on race gas, money is not the object.
    Chrysle is kicking butt when it comes to new popular cars. Ford has jumped in with the new Mustang while GM is going down in flames. It's proof that the American car buyer wants rear wheel drive and a car that looks fast even standing still. The last year or so is the first time in years I've even bothered to stop at a dealership to see the new models. This is after over 30 yrs. as a certifiable car nut. I worked in dealerships for years and got to the point I couldn't tell one car from the next nor did I care.

6. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Dude, the thread is for muscle car lovers, if you have nothing better than a smart grits comment why not just scroll on by.

Back to the subject. I checked one out the other day and it was ok for a new car. I think I might be too old school because I really prefer the originals to anything put out anymore.

7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I think it's a joke. A 4 door muscle car? Plus it looks like a different design team did the front, sides and back and never talked to each other. Mopar styling leaves a lot to be desired. I think most of their designs, trucks included look like junk. That front end they keep putting on their vehicles is quite dated and looks even more silly on a car. Maybe those lines look clean compared to American cars but the europeans and japanese do a much better job. That's probably part of the reason American vehicle sales have been going down the drain, though quality and reliability is the biggest reason. I think Chrysler should hand the designing of their American cars over to their Mercedes division.

I think this Charger about as much an insult to the muscle car as the new GTO. Ford seems to be the only ones who's gotten it right with the new Mustang.

I would have much rather seen GM bring back the Camaro/Firebird.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

9. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Make it a 2 door and we can talk.

Personally put a hemi in a viper with a toned down body style and call it the Hemi 'Cuda and they would have something.

Just think of it the hemi viper. A entry level sports car priced about the same as the mustang GT that could still blow thw doors off any Vette.

They already have the Crossfire platform rework it alittle and call it a Charger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are currently house hunting and went to a showing friday out in the sticks and when we walked into the garage there sat a charger all painted up Dukes of Hazard General Lee style. Wow that car had great lines. Maybe these designers dodge has should actually try and spend spmetime with a real car.

Just my 2 cents

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Well I've owned a 68 charger Rt, 69 and 70 charger 500's. 68 Road Runner SE, and currently have a 69 Road Runner. Sorry but the new joke will not be allowed anywhere near my garage.

11. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Well.....to me a four door muscle car was funny looking in its day and will still be funny looking now.....Our 69 nova is all the muscle car we need and yes its a 2 door. We park it most of the year now cuz gas is so $$. But its fun to take out and go cruisen every now and then....the kids love it!!!!

12. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

I give credit to Chrysler for building V8 rear wheel drive cars again but to call the new Charger a Muscle Car is, well, without getting too wound up, its just wrong :) Like someone else above I too have owned my share of old MoPars, b and e bodies, and to compare the new car to say a 70 r/t is comparing apples to tofutti. In my world there has not been a muscle car made since about '72 or '73.

If it comes with more than two doors, fuel injection, no manual transmission option, leather interior and a cd player its a family car, granted a 300+ hp family car but thats what it is.

Kurt

13. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

The Charger is ugly.

The GTO is boring looking.It is an Australian car(Holden Monaro I believe-quite a nice car over there) but it lost any visual impact once it got here.

The Mustang has some good styling cues.

The last F-body Firebrids/Trans Ams were good looking and FAST.

I think the problem is men have to now 'justify' their fast car to the wife and so it needs 4 doors and to be 'practical'...look at the Dodge Magnum station Wagon...LOL

I can't think of any new car I would want...would prefer to find a mid 90's Trans Am,six speed, ram air and add a few performance goodies.I had a 1997 Z-28 6 speed Camaro-30th anniversary that was fun while it wasn't i the shop...

14. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

No, I will park my origional 1971 Charger in the living room and sit in it while I watch the tv commercials trying to sell those 'hybrid' jokes. If gas gets to $5 a gallon, I doubt it that your vehicles will be on the road either...but that Charger will still be mine when those hybrids are being recycled.

15. Tarot Farm

Hey, wasn't the Trans Am the little Pontiac with the decal of the Screaming Chicken on the hood? I couldn't see those chicken decals too good out of the rear view mirror of my 71 Charger....as those TA's kept on getting smaller and smaller in the mirror you know.

16. oz in SC

Well,someone COULD of course simply blow the doors off that charger with a GS Stage1...AND do it with the A/C blasting... :haha:

I had a poor example of one back in the early 90's.

An original triple black 1970 Stage 1(360 HP, 510lb/ft of torque) 455,ram air,A/C,TH400(would bark first and second gear while leaving it in drive),3.42 posi rear....sadly it was a rust bicket and needed WAYYY more than I could afford to spend. :waa:

17. Tarot Farm

Did you ever notice that the 'good ones' are always rusted down and the one with the 'sick engines' are all nice and clean?

I was just going to ask you if you wanted a good old fashioned 'tree to tree' run against my '71 Charger? But I see that you do not have the '70 anymore....

You can have my house, my money, my clothes, I would even let my husband go...but I will never give up my Mopars...PS, if you take my husband, please take his Chevrolets too! :D

18. oz in SC

I actually GAVE my GS to a friend as a 'wedding present'...

He never did anything with it and I don't know what ever happened to it.

Ahh well.

Today I would rather have a modern 'muscle car'....

Or actually a nice tractor.LOL

19. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

A 71 Charger 500 with 440 magnum from the factory did 14.8 in the 1/4mi. The 400 c.i. Firebirds were almost a second quicker and the 455 was faster than that.

In handling there's no comparison. A Charger would end up in the ditch trying to keep up with a t/a on the curves.

A GS like Oz described did low 13s.

Funny thing is now there's many european and japanese cars pulling those numbers right from the factory with half the engine size.

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

The Mustang (with the exception of the mid-70's-80's -- ew!), has always been THE ONE TRUE PONYCAR, and the muscle cars were sooooooooooo sweet. God Bless Carroll Shelby and Larry Shinoda (rest his soul). :)

And the 2005 Mustang brings a tear of joy to my eye... Ahhh... Oh, my...

There's one driving around River Forest, IL, in the Ivy Green, with white, "original" style block-letter stripe over the rocker panel: "MUSTANG"

Makes this ol' Pony's heart beat a little prouder, yes it does.

Pony!