mums

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Sep 12, 2004.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 2 white chrysanthmums that grow over 4ft tall.The other colors are normal size,what could have caused this?I hardly ever feed them.Mary

2. dot

dot Well-Known Member

I have one that I bought last yr. don't remember what color but I planted it in the yard and it grew so tall and bushy I had to tie it up and it finally just fell over. it hasn't bloomed yet. I don't know what to do with it.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Different varieties probably. Some can get pretty big.

Dot you can try just cutting it back, unless it has buds on it. They will sometimes come out and bloom better after being cut back. You can try putting a tomato cage down over the clump after you cut it back and it can grow up thru the cage.

4. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

I keep mine shaped (just like hedges)and cut back, even the blooms all summer. In the fall I allow it to bloom. The blooms are bigger and better.

5. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

mary, iworked at home depot last year and i have a national nursey cert. i bought at least 15 plants last year and they all did the same thing as yours they are massive, never seen nothing like it, must be good soil, my tomato's do the same thing they are a least 8-10 foot tall if not more, they are on a hill and out grew their cage and went back down to the ground the back up, so we built a pen around them that was 6ft. tall and they are now groing up to the peak of the neighbors garage.

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

:eek: :eek: Whta is in that soil???????

7. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mums produced for fall sale are sprayed with growth regulators which are not available to the public. This keeps them nice and neat and tidy. The next year they grow to their original ( nature intended) height which varies by variety. You can keep them trimmed as another poster said to keep them a little less unruly. I grow them where they can be tied to a fence ot something.

pQ

8. dot

dot Well-Known Member

I cut my big tall mum back and now I have a normal size plant with pretty purple mums on it. Thanks for the tip!