Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was futzing around today and came home with two pots of multiplier onions. I read archival stuff on them here, but most people said they wouldn't produce seed. The lady said that these did produce viable seed that you could plant and grow....? What are they? What do they do? I may get more..they were $1 a pot and each pot has 6 or 7 in it. Can't go wrong there.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
LOL thats funny ...."Onion man"

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
themamahen said:
LOL thats funny ...."Onion man"
Well, I DO grow 4 different large varieties of topsetting onions plus 2 smaller pearl types. Also have one multiplier that makes neither seeds nor topsets but only divides by the bulbs. And I haven't heard of anyone else on HT who is growing Amish bottle onions or has about 20,000 seeds of that variety right now. If some might think that that all qualifies me being called an "onion man", I'll live with it!

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Paquebot said:
Well, I DO grow 4 different large varieties of topsetting onions plus 2 smaller pearl types. Also have one multiplier that makes neither seeds nor topsets but only divides by the bulbs. And I haven't heard of anyone else on HT who is growing Amish bottle onions or has about 20,000 seeds of that variety right now. If some might think that that all qualifies me being called an "onion man", I'll live with it!

Martin
Martin, what is an Amish bottle onion????

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
kyhippie said:
Martin, what is an Amish bottle onion????
Amish bottle onions are elongated and shaped like a bottle. They'll get 6 to 8 inches long by about 2 inches thick. Excellent cooking and storage onion. Like other great storing onions, they must be planted as sets in order to reach maximum size. Only problem is that the sets are not available anywhere except from an Amish grower in Pennsylvania. Failing that, you can grow them yourself once you have some to start with.

Martin

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know somewhere else they are available.......uhh hummm...Paquebot. You have set yourself up for a world of begging, pleading and more begging farmers and onion lovers.
Whatever were you thinking, man?
Ok..I'll start.."oooh, you have 20,000 bottle onion seeds. Noone could possibly use that many. Do you need someone to take them off your hands for you. would hate for you to be burdened by storing all of those seeds by yourself. Please PM me if you need help with those 20,000 bottle onions seeds. I would love to be of assistance."
Next. But I was first in line...quit pushing ...Don't make me turn around and...hey..that hurt....why you...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would have to agree with chickenista, Paquebot. I would be glad to be of assistance to you if you need someone to help store some of those seeds. I'm sure 20,000 onion seeds would take up an enormous amount of space and if you need more space, I could store a few of them in my garden. Just let me know if you need the help. :)

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
chickenista said:
Another question, please.. seeing that it is Sept. here in Z 7..should I try to plant these things or what. Will they snggle down for the winter...should I plant for a while, then dig up and save sets...confused.
Not knowing exactly what kind you have, it's hard to give precise information. They may be a kind which do not make any bulbs but continue splitting in their first year and then go to seed the second year. Regardless, I'd put them into the garden now. September is the time to refresh the walking onion beds here while I've planted I-itoi as late as December with no loss. Whatever type you have, once they are in the ground this fall, you leave them there until their next dormant period.

Martin

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
Heritage said:
I would have to agree with chickenista, Paquebot. I would be glad to be of assistance to you if you need someone to help store some of those seeds. I'm sure 20,000 onion seeds would take up an enormous amount of space and if you need more space, I could store a few of them in my garden. Just let me know if you need the help. :)
At the moment, I'm unsure as to how I should handle dstribution of the seeds besides listing them with SSE. I would prefer that they get into the hands of those who would know what to do with them. They are neither a novelty nor will they produce a large bulb in one season. The seed must not be planted until June or early July so as to only produce small sets. Sets are then stored over winter and planted the following spring to get full-sized bulbs. Some of those are then planted back the third spring to produce seeds to start over again. Too many things to go wrong. And after all of the time it took for me to separate and clean the seeds, I can understand why only the Amish grow them!

But if someone wants some seeds, you all now know who has some.

Martin

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
hey is definately the onion man too. soon to get another feather is his cap..."mr. bean". oh yeah...the garlic guru!

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
heather said:
he's also the Tomato Man & the Bean Man

How many "Men" can one "Man" be???? :)
I'm just about a bit of everything except home right now. Won't be on line from there until next Tuesday according to the phone repair schedule.

Did just come from one of the gardens where I picked a bag of Tri-Color lima beans plus whatever Taiwan Black Noodle bean were dry. Most of this afternoon was spent threshing Red Kidney and Coco Rubico dry beans until my fingers cramped in protest. When I wasn't playing with beans, it was cleaning about 25 varieties of fermenting tomato seeds.

Sandwiched in between was a trip out to the garlic farm to deliver some extra vegetables and return with 90 gallons of horse manure.

Martin

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Paquebot said:

Sandwiched in between was a trip out to the garlic farm to deliver some extra vegetables and return with 90 gallons of horse manure.

Martin

which reminds me...he is also the compost commandant. :)

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Ah, better watch it! You'll be steppin' on some mighty toes with the Tomato Man - he lives here in our state. He does garlic too, but might let you get away with "garlic guru" :) ...

Tomato Man website

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.