Multiple eggs in cells - but still a marked queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by makeitdolou, May 25, 2006.

1. makeitdolou

makeitdolou Well-Known Member

On opening one of my hives this morning, I noticed one frame had a number of cells with multiple eggs, all of them placed at the bottom of the cell (none placed on the sides). I immediately thought I had lost my queen and had a worker laying eggs, but I found the queen (she is marked) on the next frame, laying eggs.

I have not combined this hive with another - it is the original package and queen from the May 2 ship. I have older larvae and capped cells. Could it be that this queen could have laid these multiple eggs? If so, should I leave everything as is?

Rosie

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Some times a new queen will lay more than one egg to a cell. Since you found the queen I am sure you don't have a laying worker.
    Give her a while to settle down.

:D Al

3. makeitdolou

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

have ALSO heard that a young queen may put more than one egg in a cell: she is still learning her job and she is not skilled yet.

I have ALSO heard that the abdomen of a laying worker is too short to reach the bottom of the cell, so she CANNOT put the eggs on the bottom.

5. makeitdolou

Thanks for this info, Terri! I will leave her alone and hope for the best. Do these multiple cells grow and hatch with no problem, or will workers clean them out?
    Rosie

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Most hives have a few laying workers also.

7. btai

btai Well-Known Member

another longshot is that it could possibly be SHB eggs...probably not, but can't hurt to check

8. makeitdolou

What dies SHB stand for?
    Rosie

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

SHB = small hive beetle.
    Watch those cells with the multiple eggs. If they get capped with a bullet shaped cap (drone) then yes you probably have a laying worker. If thats the what happens I have a method of ridding the hive of said worker.

I think you will find out though you have a over zelous queen who will settle down.

:D Al

10. makeitdolou

A follow up - I checked the hive today and the multiple egg cells have been emptied. In the upper body's newly made cells, I found nice neat rows of brand new eggs. Everything else looks great!