Multi-season perennial garden Q

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hisenthlay, Oct 2, 2006.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I have a few small spots designated for flowers in my little yard, and I'd like to have something blooming there for three seasons. What I want to know is, is it possible to plant perennial plants and bulbs in the same space?

For instance, I want to plant some spring bulbs now, and I want to plant the potted chrysanthemums I have. Can I put the bulbs directly under the mums, as long as I'm not planting the bulbs deeper than they like to go? Will the bulbs be able to shoot up through the roots of the mums? Will the roots of the mums be harmed if the bulbs do manage to shoot up? And for bulbs that like to be planted very shallow, can I put them on top of the mums roots?

Or, do I just have to allow everything its own space, and deal with gaps in the spring where the mums, etc. are?

Thanks!
    h

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Mixing a perenniel plant and bulbs often works just fine.

I say go for it.

3. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

you can plant the bulbs very near the mums, but not directly beneath them.

Also, next year when you plant more perenials to give more seasonal interest, you will probably destroy your bulbs digging holes. At least, I did. :)

so you may have to plant more bulbs next fall if you chop too many next year. As a small tip, if you plant the smaller pots of perenials and mums, you can plant the bulbs closer to the plant and the bulbs will come up thicker, and as the perenials grow larger, the roots may grow around the bulbs better so they don't get choked out so quickly. Also, shallower holes means fewer chopped bulbs. :p I'm all about the mixed bed.

4. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Thanks for the good info. You'd think they would address this in one of the many perennial garden books I've gotten from the library--it seems like such a basic question--but no. I guess I'll order the bulbs, and then plant them and the mums at the same time, just trying to put them as closely together as possible. The potted mums I have have a pretty small root ball, so it should work ok, I hope. And I hope to get the whole area planted at once, so that I don't have to do tooooo much digging around next year--I just know I'd injure some things if I did that.

Thanks!