multi-animal horse wormer?????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by reneeearle, Mar 13, 2005.

1. reneeearle

reneeearle Well-Known Member

Is there a wormer that can be used for horses, goats, dogs, cats, cows? Without having to buy 10 different kinds of wormer. I thought that I had seen somewhere that you could use one of the horse wormers for dogs too, but would like to use it on all listed.. thanks, Renee

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Safeguard (fenbendazole) can be used on all of your listed critters. It's not all that effective in goats anymore, though.

Ivomec you can probably use for dogs and cats. I know for sure you can use it for horses, goats, and cows.

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Ivomec can be used on dogs (but be careful with collies and collie-derived breeds- IE, Aussies, Border Collies, Shelties, etc- they *can* have sensitivities to it that means they'll OD on it much more easily than other dogs. There's still a fairly wide margin of error, AFAIK, but it's something to be aware of.)

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I've had various people ask us for dried ground walnut hulls as a dewormer. Beyond that I can't speak to the subject.

Mike

5. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

You are really going to want to rotate your wormers no matter what animal you're using them on. I keep Safeguard, Pyrantel, Ivomec & Cydectin here, and also buy some of the horse wormers allready in the tubes for the ponies. Cats I only use Pyrantel, I know it's ok for them. 3 days of Safeguard is a good wormer for the dogs, or 1 dose of Pyrantel. (I rotate these with the dogs) I have heard there's a tube of paste for horses that contains Ivomec & pyrantel, and you can dose your dogs once a month, if someone uses it, let us know which one. Would be easier than mixing up the injectable ivomec for them for HW prevention. I have heard Valbazen is good, but I haven't used it yet on the dogs, have heard good & bad about it, so not sure myself. It's good for goats.

6. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I asked my vet once and he said that tube horse wormer is the same stuff but you have to be careful on the amount.

7. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

8. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I'm surprised basic H hasn't been mentioned.