Mulefoot pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mensamule, Oct 7, 2006.

1. mensamule

mensamule Active Member

Anyone here with Mulefoot pigs? Experience with them? Any advice to offer? I'm thinking about getting a couple and breeding a few. They were on the endangered list and I figured feeding one pig is sort of like feeding another except I'd be preserving something along with eating well.
    Thanks

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Here's the contact info for the breed association. They may can put you in touch with a breeder near you.

National Mulefoot Hog Association
    Kevin Powell
    12942-338th Street
    Strawberry Point, IA 52076
    (563) 933-2252
    powellk@squared.com

3. mensamule

mensamule Active Member

Thanks but I have a breeder less than an hour away from me and she will have piglets this spring. I'm just wondering about personality, dispositions, etc. and wondered what kind of experiences anyone might have had. This will be my first experience with pigs other than as a kid on the farm and I'm not sure that I picked the right breed to start with.

4. LindaVistaFarm

LindaVistaFarm Well-Known Member

I ran a post asking for mule foot pigs and got no response. From what I have learned, their disposition is on line with say a Tamworth along with the taste of their meat. I once had a Tamworth boar that was around 600lbds. Handling him was like handling a dog on a leash. He woul follow mw around like a little puppy. Never tried to ram me into the fence. A school boy could have handled him.

Johnny

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

How much will she sell them for? I am not paying anywhere near the $350 for a 20lb weanling like the blackpig raisers sell them for.

6. mensamule

mensamule Active Member

Water Hollow Farm has for sale 2 registered bred sows for $300 each. Both are bred to our prize winning boar, Amos.

One 8 month old registered gilt for $250.

We also have 4 six week old registered piglets for sale for $150 each and 2 registerd boar pigs that will be ready to go toward the end of October for $150 each.

If you think you'd be interested in our spring pigs, be sure and place your orders soon as they are going fast.

We are going to butcher soon and will offer our pork over the internet. This is the best meat you will ever eat. It is dark, moist, well marbled and tender. It has never been genetically engineered and we do not feed hormones or antibiotics.