mulching root crops question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SquashNut, Oct 24, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Can I layer finished compost in with the leaves and hay that I am mulching root crops with for winter mulch?
    I need to empty my compost bin and I am afraid if I leave it till spring to amend those beds the compost heap will be frozen solid.

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Not only will you use up your leaves and compost, but the compost will help the leaves break down faster when the temperatures are warm enough.

If you are wanting to be able to get at the root crops during the winter, make sure that the mulch doesn't get so wet that it freezes into an impenetrable mass! As long as the roots are dormant, mulch will not hurt them and will help by keeping the ground (and the vegetables) unfrozen a little longer.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Use your finished compost between the rows, very close to the root crops. Then the leaves and hay will be keeping both the compost and the vegetables from freezing. Microbes can thus keep working on the compost most of the winter. That will add several degrees of warmth in the process.

Martin