Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I mulch everything. Especially the potatoes, corn and tomatoes. Why aren't you mulching potatoes and corn? Just curious. Ok, OK, I am nosey. I also use old hay, straw and wood shavings. I apply compost and manure, then newspaper between plants and in walk ways, then pile on the hay. Stomp it down, add more if necessary and water it all. I love it! Not much weeding. It's alot more work in the spring but not much in summer. I found out that the only part of the garden that looks bad at the end of the summer is the part that didn't get mulched real good. Because it is weedy. Did I mention, I hate to weed. I hate to do any work when the weather is sultry. Also I am the only one around here that still has a garden come August, cause everyone else's has burned up by then.
My friends scoffed at me when I added that hay. Saying " You are going to grow hay. Weeds." " I would never put hay on my garden" " All you are going to get is weeds from that stuff" Well they are singing a different toon now.
There's hay and wild fields all around us. One has to mulch or be very faithful at weeding to have a garden without weeds. If the wind doesn't plant it the birds will. I say if you got weeds (AKA hay) Mulch with them. Really, if some comes up in that pile of mulch it is so easy to just pick it and drop. Don't even have to get down on your knees or anything. Don't need a hoe either. It is just growing in hay and those roots are not being held on the other end by a Chinese sumo restler. :haha:

·
Registered
25 Posts
RANDEL if your like me once you get past the rocks,you have a Sandy Clay,grows good but you have to water alot,because it dries out so fast,so a good mulch will help.

Oh you have a new Crop of Rocks each year.

big rockpile

YUP! If you can't grow anything else you will grow rocks. :D

Sis

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.