Mulch???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Jan 5, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

What do you mulch? I'm thinking of mulching everything except Potatoes and Corn.And when the crop is done taking all the mulch composting it,instead of working it in the ground to keep from looking so Trashy.

big rockpile

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

big rockpile, what kind of mulch are you using that would look trashy if you mixed it into the soil when the season was over? We mulch most everything when we are organized. Some beds are easier to mulch than others and I am always mad at myself when I don't mulch well as soon as things emerge.

3. big rockpile

diane I was going to use old hay and straw.But I'm planning on planting second crop where I can.

big rockpile

4. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you need a bigger or better tiller to work all of the mulch into the ground. My Troy-Bilt does an admirable job. I till in leaves etc. in the fall until no more will go into the ground completely. Then in the spring I ad even more stuff and till it in until it is gone. I am now in sand and you can never get too much mulch tilled in in this light soil.

Just a thought, hope it helps. The same method worked well when we used to live in heavy clay soil also.

5. Sis

Sis Active Member

I mulch everything. Especially the potatoes, corn and tomatoes. Why aren't you mulching potatoes and corn? Just curious. Ok, OK, I am nosey. I also use old hay, straw and wood shavings. I apply compost and manure, then newspaper between plants and in walk ways, then pile on the hay. Stomp it down, add more if necessary and water it all. I love it! Not much weeding. It's alot more work in the spring but not much in summer. I found out that the only part of the garden that looks bad at the end of the summer is the part that didn't get mulched real good. Because it is weedy. Did I mention, I hate to weed. I hate to do any work when the weather is sultry. Also I am the only one around here that still has a garden come August, cause everyone else's has burned up by then.
    My friends scoffed at me when I added that hay. Saying " You are going to grow hay. Weeds." " I would never put hay on my garden" " All you are going to get is weeds from that stuff" Well they are singing a different toon now.
    There's hay and wild fields all around us. One has to mulch or be very faithful at weeding to have a garden without weeds. If the wind doesn't plant it the birds will. I say if you got weeds (AKA hay) Mulch with them. Really, if some comes up in that pile of mulch it is so easy to just pick it and drop. Don't even have to get down on your knees or anything. Don't need a hoe either. It is just growing in hay and those roots are not being held on the other end by a Chinese sumo restler. :haha:

6. big rockpile

Sis I don't Mulch Potatoes and Corn because I just don't have much of a problem with weeds in them.Pluse like I said on planting Potatoes in Straw I tried it and had a problem with Mice digging down to my Potatoes and eating them.They didn't bother the ones I didn't Mulch.

big rockpile

7. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i mulch as much as i can with whatever i can. i learned early on that in a large garden, i start out ahead of the weeds, but if i dont keep ahead of em they soon get ahead of me! in earlier gardening years ive been so busy pulling weeds that i didnt have time to get to mulching: a vicious cycle! nowadays i try to have at least some mulching material ahead of time so i dont get behind in the first place.

i'm gardening in a completely new situation this year tho. (i was in high plains of new mexico before) now i am in the ozarks with little or no water to supplement rainfall. my guess is that here i'll want to lay off the mulch until the soil dries decently--mulch could keep it sopping wet. in cold new mexico i would hold off mulching till the soil warmed. ive not had problems with vermin due to mulch.

8. big rockpile

RANDEL if your like me once you get past the rocks,you have a Sandy Clay,grows good but you have to water alot,because it dries out so fast,so a good mulch will help.

Oh you have a new Crop of Rocks each year. :haha:

big rockpile

9. Sis

Sis Active Member

RANDEL if your like me once you get past the rocks,you have a Sandy Clay,grows good but you have to water alot,because it dries out so fast,so a good mulch will help.

Oh you have a new Crop of Rocks each year.

big rockpile

YUP! If you can't grow anything else you will grow rocks. :D

Sis

10. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

no kidding! between the rocks and the roots it's taking me a couple of hours of actual working time to open, say, 50 square feet of usable bed. after that tho the soil looks like its got a nice texture. just crumbles nicely when tapped with the back of a shovel. at least mostly. i didnt think id be able to dig this time of year at all. thought that if the soil weren't frozen it'd be too sticky to work. so im opening a bed at a time and getting some lime working on 'em right away.