Mulch, Duck litter, & Duck tea....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by yellowlab2, Jun 24, 2005.

1. yellowlab2

yellowlab2 Well-Known Member

We had a great hatch this year, with the first brood being 17 in number, then 15, 14, & 14 following. The bitty boxes are full at night and (those with ducks can attest) they slop up the water and play in the mess. It soon comes out of the tray and gets the straw soaked. This mixed with summer temps and LOTS :D of poop makes for straw changes at the least weekly. Can I mulch with this directly, or should I put it on the compost for a while? The weeds are running amok, and its all we can do to keep up.
    Also I was thinking of buying a small pump to run the water out of the duck pools over to the garden. I have heard that because of the amount of water the birds drink, the nitrogen level is cut way back, and nowhere near the level of chicken manure.
    We have a pretty big (60 x 80) vegetable garden, and another area with grapes, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Bob & Sandy

2. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I don't know anything about the duck manure but I would think that a small sump pump would work for what you want. They make smaller ones that you hook a garden hose to.

3. yellowlab2

yellowlab2 Well-Known Member

Cool, I think I saw them at tractor supply co. Bob