Mulberry trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bladesmith, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a good online or local source of mulberry trees. All the catalog places I've looked up on Garnden watchdog .com have rather dubious ratings. We're here in Central Florida, the heart of zone 9 any suggestions?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Try www.burntridgenursery.com

I haven't purchased mulberries from them (yet) but I have other things. They're fast and pleasant, and the stuff I've gotten has been healthy. Yep, they're in Washington state, and I'm in NC, but the zone is not that different.

I like them. And they have quite a few mulberries for you :)

Meg

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Mulberry trees are pretty but not around a house...oh my,birds eat the berries and ruin your siding,car,driveway with their droppings...a terrrible mess. Just my opinion....DEE

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I agree terrible mess, but it is also a target tree. Birds like it better than strawberries and cherries. If you have enough room to plant them away from the house (what I've tried to do, but bought from those "other" nurseries) then you can get more of the crop you really want.

Pat

5. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Ours will be well away fromt he house and cars, one planted in the chicken yard for them, the other well back on our lot, but close enough for cross pollenation...I look forward to the berries, but where can I get a good tree?

6. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

The Burnt Ridge Nursery listed above has them. They had sold out on part of their selection. They did have a couple for zone 10. I tried to check them by the Garden Catalog Watch sticky, but can't get Daves to open this morning.

I was able to get into Dave's and Burnt Ridge Nursery and it has a 100 percent positive rating also.

I'm buying some from Vernon Barnes And Son . They have cheaper prices (but a good rating from the Garden Catalog watch) I'm not sure if they have mulberries for zone 9 / 10. They don't have a web site but their address and telephone number are:
    Vernon Barnes And Son
    Address: P.O. Box 250
    McMinnville, TN 37110
    USA
    Telephone: (615) 668-8576

Southerngurl and I are both trying Vernon's this year.

Pat

7. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Bladesmith, how big of a Mulberry tree are you looking for. My grandmother has several Mulberry trees, and they produce quite a few seedlings each year. I could see about digging you up a couple and sending them to you. Mine were about 2 feet tall when I dug them up to move here.

8. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, its funny to me to see someone wanting to buy a mulberry tree. Here in Indiana, they are a nuisance. A rampant giant weed that cant be killed. Let me stress CANT BE KILLED. Keep that in mind everyone. I had a dog of mine chew one clean through. I was baseball bat sized. He chewed on it like a bone all winter long, yet sure enough, the following spring, it had leaf sprouts all over what was left of its mangled trunk. My mom dug one out that was in her drive. We ended up digging a 4 foot hole to get the root. Guess what came back.

There was this one that is growing out from under the edge of my house. Ive cut it down a hundred times. Ive burned it, and even poured motor oil into the split trunk. Guess whats still growing? :no:

9. renabeth

renabeth Well-Known Member

Another bad thing about them is that their roots are real shallow and hard to mow over. Not very good for a yard.

10. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Check out www.tyty.com. They're a nursery in Georgia that has several varieties. I've never purchased from them so can't peronally vouch for them. I transplanted two from the woods to my orchard last year. They're still small but I'm hoping to get a few berries from them this year. The jelly from mulberries is out of this world.

11. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/

Located in Crawfordville, Florida - just south of Tallahassee.
    This is my absolute favorite place to buy fruit trees. The grounds are wonderful. I just love to wander around looking and sniffing the plants. They do mail order and are very helpful over the phone. But I highly recommend visiting in person - just make sure you bring a big truck. Brandy is an amazing source of information.

12. Ray_Scheel

Ray_Scheel Well-Known Member

~ Be ye warned, I've found very few people who have bought from Tyty outside of GA that can vouch for them. The comments at Garden watchdog, http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/489/ speak volumes, especially the number of now neutral comments that have been flagged as probably forged that were submitted as positive ratings.

13. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ray. Very interesting site. As I said I have never purchased from them and only knew about them from the web site.