Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago, my wife thawed out what she thought was a chuck, or similar roast.

Friday night, she said we should Smoke it on Saturday. Saturday morning, I started the smoker fire, to burn down to smoker coal.

after starting the fire, she told me she discovered she had accidentally thawed a 6.5lb Prime Rib.

we seasoned and Smoked it... it was AMAZING. First time I have ever smoked a Prime. first time either of us had ever tasted a REAL Smoked Prime rib.

after that, smoker still had lots of life left in it. not wanting to waste good wood, I put a tray of several pounds of random livestock bones we have been saving in the freezer, as we have consumed various former "homestead pets"

bones Smoked for about 10 hours. while we took the Prime rib to some friends house to share (there is only two of us)

when we came back home, I removed the bones, bagged them up, and stuck them back in the freezer. wife will boil them overnight in a day or two.

I'm interested to taste this broth/stock, and all of the interesting things it will do to various "normal" meal recipes when added in place of standard stock.
Product Cuisine Wood Dish Recipe

·
Registered
84 Posts
My top Prime rib recipe is to coat it with garlic and herb butter and smoke it. After smoking, we stick it into the oven at 600 F for 3-5 minutes to get a little extra crust. It's absolutely amazing.

We also smoke all of our excess marrow bones for stock! It adds a little oomph. All of our stock is made from leftover bones from grilled steaks and other meats, smoked roasts we used for stew, or just smoked marrow bones specifically prepped for stock. It's the best.

Our smoker is a crappy electric one, so it never gives us a smoke ring. But this one was still beautiful.
Food Ingredient Animal product Cuisine Dish

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
That's a nice looking rib roast, Solar. is that home raised?

The family pit master will smoke a prime rib and it is delicious. I don't think we smoke anything that is really unusual, but I have the pit master smoke chilies for me. Not quite chipotle, but they are darn good to cook with. On the to-do list is to raise some jalapenos and get them ripe and then smoke them to make chipotle. He does smoked cheese and has done smoked almonds that turned out delicious.

(Delicious looking prime rib from you, too FaeLeaf)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a nice looking rib roast, Solar. is that home raised?

The family pit master will smoke a prime rib and it is delicious. I don't think we smoke anything that is really unusual, but I have the pit master smoke chilies for me. Not quite chipotle, but they are darn good to cook with. On the to-do list is to raise some jalapenos and get them ripe and then smoke them to make chipotle. He does smoked cheese and has done smoked almonds that turned out delicious.

(Delicious looking prime rib from you, too FaeLeaf)
it was not raised on our homestead, but it is not "big meat" from some supermarket.

my boss and I split a beef two years ago. this is from that beef.

it was purchased from a small operation, reccomended to her by mutual acquaintances. it was custom butchered, per our specifications. she picked it up when she was out on the barrel race circuit, near that town.

·
Premium Member
22,527 Posts
That prime rib has my mouth watering!

At the moment, I am smoking a whole 10 month old goat kid on the neighbor's ginormous smoker. I am not particularly adept at smoking in such an enormous appliance, so I hope this turns out well, as we are having company tomorrow.

Reactions: Danaus29

·
Registered
84 Posts
That prime rib has my mouth watering!

At the moment, I am smoking a whole 10 month old goat kid on the neighbor's ginormous smoker. I am not particularly adept at smoking in such an enormous appliance, so I hope this turns out well, as we are having company tomorrow.
I use a piece of junk electric smoker from China, and while it doesn't give me a smoke ring, the meat is absolutely awesome and comparable to BBQ places I've been to in the Midwest. I'm sure you'll be fine on a more substantial smoker. 😅

I've yet to try goat meat (but I will soon), but I'm jealous of your whole smoked kid! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
.......... I am not particularly adept at smoking in such an enormous appliance, so I hope this turns out well, as we are having company tomorrow.
My experience is that smoking is a talent that is learned as you go along and have experience. However, the very first barbecue turns out delicious. Even though it gets better as you go along, you start from a very good place with your smoked meats, so your goat should be excellent

·
Premium Member
22,527 Posts
My experience is that smoking is a talent that is learned as you go along and have experience. However, the very first barbecue turns out delicious. Even though it gets better as you go along, you start from a very good place with your smoked meats, so your goat should be excellent
@oregon woodsmok and @FaeLeaf

It was delicious! Thanks for the reassurance!

Darn it, though. My inexperience with this particular smoker (it is HUGE) cost me many hours. It stalled out at 9 pm, didn't break until 11:30. Scared the heck out of me!

I had some bigger chickens from the local organic chicken farm. Really big breasts, which often cook out dry and nasty. I brined them for 12 hours, used a new (to me) rub that included oil and soy sauce, and popped them into one side of the Giant Pig Smoker. Turned out great! Even the white meat was succulent and flavorful. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts