Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low spot in the corrals with mud. I would hate for my 13 yo new horse to get into it during wet seasons. Can't close it off or put hay down because I wouldn't want him to eat it. Any suggestions? I'm sure he wouldn't like dirty hooves. South kansas

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Yes, get a good hoof pick and a long bathing hose. If there are no other options, then there are no other options. Unless you can keep your horse out of that area, you will need to expect to have a lot of grooming to do.

Do you have a barn or other housing place the horse could be when the mud is too much to risk?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do you have a tractor and blade, to clean out the mud hole and put down new dirt? Maybe change the drainage in the paddock?

Mud won't hurt the horse, unless it is VERY deep, where horse might get stuck. You do have to keep cleaning the horse though, since mud can cause leg and hoof problems.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You could put dow geotech fabric and then put new footing on top of it that drains. Essentially, you would be raising that part of the corral. The geotech fabric keeps the footing from becoming part of the muck. That is what we did behind our barn although we also graded it so that there was a swale for water to drain off properly.

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
If it were my mudhole - I would put down a layer of straw to soak up some of the moisture and provide a base layer; then start putting everything I cleaned out of his stall into the hole to raise the elevation or bring in more dirt from elsewhere.

Similar to the geotech fabric suggestion above.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Low spot in the corrals with mud. I would hate for my 13 yo new horse to get into it during wet seasons. Can't close it off or put hay down because I wouldn't want him to eat it. Any suggestions? I'm sure he wouldn't like dirty hooves. South kansas
Mud isn't a problem as long as the corral has high spots where the horse can go to get out of it. Most horses won't stand in mud or water if they have a choice. The problem with filling in the low spots is that, unless you can install a drainage system to direct the water away from the corral, you have insured the entire pen will be wet/muddy instead of only the low spot. Another problem with filling in the low spots is that horses tend to follow set routes to feeders/waterers and will tromp out those areas over and over again.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If it were my mudhole - I would put down a layer of straw to soak up some of the moisture and provide a base layer; then start putting everything I cleaned out of his stall into the hole to raise the elevation or bring in more dirt from elsewhere.

Similar to the geotech fabric suggestion above.
This idea is a very SHORT term fix, since the fill used is organic materials. Organic things, bedding, straw, are made to continue breaking down until gone. Mixing that stuff with wet dirt is never going to make location dry out. In that breakdown process, mixture will turn the muddy spot into a BIG mudhole, never get it dried out. Probably will be even more slippery than regular mud in the paddock.

I strongly advise against using the method as a fix for muddy conditions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks a lot for the input!!
What about a few bags of quikrete?
It's about a 12 tall by 5 ft wide "low spot"
Not too low just zero grass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts