Mud

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by redroving, Nov 16, 2005.

1. redroving

redroving Well-Known Member

I was reminded in another forum about the mud issues during the winter (or summer if you irrigate). Anyway I wanted to pass along a trick we learned.
    We had a mud and rut issue about 15 years ago in our alleyway and pasture entrances. We put down whole wool fleeces then sand or gravel on top. They are still holding up after all these years with no deteriation or rutting. Wool does not break down in soils for many years. We do sell our fleeces to handspinners but with 40+ sheep we still have stockpiles of wool. We have found great alternatives for the use of them. We also planted a rose bed near a new metal warehouse. The side we planted them on was the hottest side with sun all day beating off the walls. When we planted the rose garden we put down drip irrigation then wool fleeces, then wood chips. The roses flourished (even though we planted in summer) and they have never shown heat stress (even in 105 degrees). They love the protection that the wool gives their roots which keeps them moist. For a few years we also did not have any weeds since the wool layer prevented weed growth. :D

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Great idea! I've got far too much mud here...of course the weather is not condusive to me doing sheep wool construction at the moment, but certainly I'll be thinking of this come spring.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Thank you SO much, you have just persuaded me that I WILL get sheep when I get my own place, I am 14 so right now I am just planning. I just had to have a good excuse, and you provided a GREAT excuse for getting them. Once again thanks, bye.

4. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Great advice! Here in Oregon mud season can run from November thru June!