Mt. Oysters

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by AlaOutlaw, Oct 14, 2006.

1. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

We are having a "castrating party" Sunday. I have heard the testicles are pretty good fried but I have never been able to bring myself to cook them. I am actually thinking about trying to cook up a mess of them and trying it out. So I was just wondering if any of ya'll had any experience good or bad with the "oysters"? Anything I need to know?

2. sellis

sellis Well-Known Member

fry them up and have cocktail sauce on the side ,my god heaven in your mouth .

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I know that they say that nothing is wasted on a pig other than the squeal but I can't say this delicacy is one that has ever turned me on too much - even if I castrated my pigs, which I don't.

When I used to help out with docking (lambs) on large stations, come lunch time and the shepherds would light a fire and throw on the tails and mountain oysters and eat them with great gusto. I guess it's what your used to and brought up with. Try it; if you don't like them the dogs will have a good feed :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Peel any outer layer of skin and veins off, put them in the freezer to partially freeze them, they are easier to slice when 1/2 frozen.
    I like them sliced 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick, dip in egg, milk mixture and roll in cracker crumbs. Fry in hot oil.
    Small ones can be cooked whole, but if they are very large, IMO they taste better sliced.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

freeze them, then while frozen slice in half and peel off the lining. It's one of the toughest membranes in the body. If you try to peel them raw they will mush. While still frozen season and dredge and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes prior to frying. They will probably thaw in that length of time. After they are all fried add some milk and flour to the drippings and use like an alfredo sauce