MSU to settle sex abuse with Larry Nassar survivors

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Irish Pixie, May 16, 2018.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

"Michigan State University will pay $500 million to settle lawsuits brought by 332 victims of Larry Nassar, the former associate professor and doctor who sexually abused hundreds of young girls and women.

The terms of the settlement include $425 million paid to current claimants, and $75 million set aside in a trust fund to protect "any future claimants alleging sexual abuse by Larry Nassar," according to a joint statement from plaintiffs' attorney John Manly and Michigan State University.
    The settlement only deals with accusations against Michigan State. It does not address lawsuits against USA Gymnastics, the US Olympic Committee, gymnastics coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi, or other parties."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/16/us/larry-nassar-michigan-state-settlement/index.html

2. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

It is a tragic situation. The University will jack up tuitions to cover the settlement and the injured parties will each get a pile of money. Nassar will never leave prison. Problem solved?

3. Irish Pixie

Will the memories from all those women ever completely go away? No, the problem will never be solved, there will always be animals that prey on the young.

4. Shine

Shine Well-Known Member

Memories go away? Doubtful unless they work at it. I have memories of great harm that I have been able to push out of sight, so to speak, but it required much work on my part and forgiveness. That is the hard part to understand but it is necessary to walk away from those memories, IMO.

And yes, this type of behavior will continue as long as people can get away with it. I would have no problem with increasing the penalties so as to try to weed this behavior out of existence.

nehimama likes this.
  5. Irish Pixie

Tell us how you worked to forget being sexually abused as an adolescent or young teenager, please.

6. Mish

Mish Well-Known Member

I think it's less forgetting and more making it less important to who you become/are. I'm not being very eloquent and it's hard to type what I'm trying to say...but trying to make it an event/time period in your life, and not THE event/time period of your life, if that makes sense.

I think I understand the concept of "walking away from those memories," and I didn't interpret it as forgetting, necessarily.

nehimama and Alice In TX/MO like this.
  7. Shine

Shine Well-Known Member

Why should I bring up anything with a complete stranger? Besides, I do not wallow in the past, I have stepped away from it to go on to better things and memories.

In another thought, I really don't think that you are asking in an altruistic manner...

AggieChris and Alice In TX/MO like this.
  8. Irish Pixie

All memories become less painful over time, but sexual assault and it's shame are especially hard for a young person.

I understand what you're trying to say, Mish I agree that not making that moment or time pinnacle is important, it happened and nothing can change that, but it will never be forgotten. It shouldn't be forgotten.

nehimama likes this.
  9. Irish Pixie

Yet you did.

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

But some think they can change human nature, and the "problem can be solved" when it comes to school shootings.

11. Irish Pixie

Do you understand what "on topic" means?

nchobbyfarm likes this.
  12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Don’t bicker, please.

AggieChris and nehimama like this.
  13. Shine

Shine Well-Known Member

To make a statement about some method that helped me walk away, why would you seek to punish someone for that?

14. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Yes.
    Thanks for asking.
    The topics on which I commented were "changing human nature" and "problem solving".

15. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

Nope, those horrible memories will come to the surface and haunt each of those poor young women every time they reach in their pockets to pay for anything they buy with that million plus dollars they received. What a terrible burden to place upon those poor victims! They have suffered enough!

Shine likes this.
  16. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

Hopefully the large settlement will send a message to anyone to take reports of abuse seriously. The first reported incident should have been the last. He got away with this for decades.

nehimama likes this.
  17. Shine

Shine Well-Known Member

um... I don't think that he will be paying out that award...

nehimama likes this.
  18. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

I personally can't believe Nassar lived long enough to face a trial.

19. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

Apparently not all fathers deal with such things the same way you or I might had it been one of our daughters. I don't know how those girls fathers sleep at night knowing that putz is sharing air, much less being fed and watered every day at the tax payers expense. Sad sad world we are leaving for our grandkids to try to survive in.

20. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

Maybe we should ask Nassar where the 21 trillion went.....

nehimama likes this.