Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beautiful daughter has a MRSA infection on her face. It started with what she thought was a bug bite on her forehead, then she was sick, couldn't get out of bed and it bloomed across her face. It took 2 days to get her into the doctor and I had her putting iodine on it. Doc said iodine was a good thing and put her on the Big Gun antibiotic, doxycillin and told us to discontinue the iodine.

Now our goal is to prevent scarring. I have her putting royal jelly, raw honey blend on it and she is taking vitimin E. Is there any other vitimins, herbs, preparations or anything else out there that will help prevent scarring?

Yup, make up and contact lenses are in the garbage, bedding is being washed and dried in hot water and her stuff is being wiped down in alcohol.

Any other precautions we should be taking?

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Ask your doc, but I would think a topical anti-biotic would also help prevent scarring.

Not all Staph is MRSA. Did they do a culture?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now, MRSA is epidemic in some of the facilities around here, inlcuding where my DH and DD's friends' parents' work. DH washes twice with antibacterial soap before leaving the facility and uses hand sanitizer when he get to his car. Other employees are not that careful. Dr. did not culture because it is a classic fast progression and symptoms, but he was able to rule out other possibilities.

The iodine is antibacterial and is one of the best things to use on any infection. However there is a point where it kills the good bugs along with the bad and needs to be diluted or stopped. After 24 hours on doxycillin, the sores have stopped spreading and are drying up.

Healing without scars is our immediate goal. I guess I will google around and call the pharmacist and ask his advice. May take DD to a dermatologist if we can get an appointment next week.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Last January I got really sick with a sinus infection. My doc put me on antibiotics, but it kept getting worse. Five days later my brother in law practically had to carry me to see my doc. He took one look at me and admitted me to the hopsital. Turned out I had MRSA growing my sinuses. They put a central line in my neck and started me on some really nasty antibiotics. I had the line in my neck for three weeks. Now every time my sinuses start acting up I get worried. Oh, I work in a hospital and the infectious disease doc said I had probably been carrying it around for years, something just seemed to set it off. Good luck with your daughter getting rid of it!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
You get a gold star for being a great mama :)

I think the dermotologist is the one who will give you the best advise on what to do and just as important what not to do concerning any possible scarring. Hopefully she will heal without any fears.

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
IMContrary said:
They put a central line in my neck and started me on some really nasty antibiotics.
I sure wouldn't be calling them nasty if they saved your life or from severe illness. I think I'd be calling them wonderful.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Windy in Kansas said:
I sure wouldn't be calling them nasty if they saved your life or from severe illness. I think I'd be calling them wonderful.
The side effects were horrible. I had constant diarrhea for over a month, upset stomach, a yeast infection and just the general discomfort of having the line in my neck. It was almost as bad as having the infection.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
I've heard that cocoa butter is good...try googling to see what might have been tried, and perhaps, researched.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Wildwood Flower said:
What is MRSA? Sounds horrible!
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It is an antibiotic resistant strain of staph infection. It is found in nursing homes, prisons and hosptials. It can be very dangerous as there are only a small number of antibiotics that can kill it. And these antibiotics are often very rough on the person taking them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRSA

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this!

My Mother, Father and 5 year old sister are battling it right now. Both of my parents work in a hospital. I'm just glad my husband hasn't brought it home yet from the other hospital he works at.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hope your daughter gets well soon!! It's a nasty thing thats for sure.. We've had a few patients come to the office with it.. Usually we have to culture it and we've had quite a few come back positive with it.. usually the doc can tell right away what it is..

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
One thing I would do is give my daughter some extra Acidopholus. These strong antibiotics kill of the natural bacteria of the gut, weakening the body's natural immune system, and leaving one open to MORE infections, especially vaginal.

My husband got Staph infection in his lungs when hospitalized for his broken neck. I administered "Optiflora" tablet (from Shaklee) the entire time he was in the hospital. His infection cleared up (with the antibiotics) and so did the thrush---which came on from the antibiotics.

He's never had another infection of any kind, not even a sniffle (5 years now). This is quite amazing, considering spinal cord patients are extremely susceptible to infection.

I also washed everything in the hospital room with Basic G (also from Shaklee) an anti-germicidal cleaner that is environmentally safe to use. It was very effective. I still use it around the home.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Both my mother and I are carriers of MRSA but we dont show the effects of the disease. Its a bit like being Typhoid Mary, but Im told it isnt an uncommon condition. However, if your daughter has MRSA in any form, make sure it is permanently on her medical records. Most hospitals will automatically give you a private room and take certain special precautions, if they know you have had or are a carrier of MRSA. I love not having to share the remote with a roommate whenever I am in hospital. :rolleyes:

I sure hope your daughter improves really soon.

As a fellow sufferer of sinus infections, I may ask my doctor if my MRSA could be aggravating the situation. Thanks folks for all the interesting input. :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I will say a prayer for your daughter, because I am just finally healing from my round with it. It isn't fun believe me if it gets real bad. I caught it in my wrist from a bug bite, then it spread to my foot. If it had spread to the bones in my foot like the doctor thought it had, then he was going to remove my leg below the knee. 3 surgeries later, 2 on my wrist and 1 on my foot, and 2 and a half weeks in the hospital, I finally got to come home. Had a pick line sticking out of my arm, and had to do 15 weeks of IV antibiotics 2 times a day. By the grace of God and all the prayers from the members of my church I still have my foot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Vit E is excellent to help prevent scarring and aid healing. Make sure it is pure vit e with no additives, usually found at health food stores.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DD says she is feeling better, wants to go to youth group tonight, but she is way cranky and seems like she sucked lemons. This is the first day she's been out of bed in a week, except to drag her to the doctor in her jammies. I think she needs to go back to bed! I am afraid too much activity will cause a setback.

She is taking those giant horse-sized doxycillin pills, eating Activa live cultured yogurt, 2 vitamin E caps, a spoon of royal jelly/raw honey, internally and applying to her face, and last night I made a bottle of "Grandma's BooBoo Juice" made with comfrey to put on the sores.

She certainly can use your prayers and I thank you for them. Anything else I can add to her regiment, please let me know!

·
Registered, here...
477 Posts
I second the all natural Vit E therapy, applied topically to the affected area. My mom swore by it.

Noone has addressed where MRSA originated. Of course, officially it isn't known, but buried in the MRSA article on Wikipedia, is this: (emphasis mine)
One of the few countries not to have been overwhelmed by MRSA is the Netherlands: an important part of the success of the Dutch strategy may have been to attempt eradication of carriage upon discharge from hospital.[32] However, the number of MRSA infected people in the Netherlands is currently rising, because of numerous infections in pig farms. The MRSA strain is carried from pig to human. Very recently, the Dutch food association has discovered strains of the MRSA bacterium on pork meat. These strains were able to infect humans.
Gee, could factory farming of pigs (regularly fed sub-theraputic levels of antibiotics to allow for mass confinement) have been the prime 'brewery' of MRSA, just as factory farming of chickens and other fowl (also with antibiotic laced feed) have brewed up H5N1 and other new mutations of previously benign bacterium and viri? Hmmm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts