Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am making mozzarella for the first time.

Some recipes call for citric acid... is this only if its store bought milk? I am lucky enough to have fresh, raw milk.

One recipe I want to try calls for junket rennet, using yogurt & buttermilk as starters. Can i use my liquid rennet in such a recipe?

Some call for yogurt *and* buttermilk, will just yogurt work?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Angela

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Citric acid is used in place of culture in most quick mozzarella recipes. It is simply to bring up the acidity in the milk.
Liquid rennet can be used instead of junket but the amounts will not be the same. Not sure off the top of my head the conversion rates.
I've seen lots of recipes but I've never seen one that calls for yogurt and buttermilk as they are made from different cultures and they are both for very different cheeses. Yogurt being a different way of doing a thermophilic type culture and buttermilk being a variant of mesophillic .

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Thank you for the info.

I made the mozzerella according to Mr. Fankhauser's recipe. ( Italian)

The curd never *quite* spun properly. I tested it at 5 hours and then the next morning. Accordingly, the cheese balls where hard to streach and didnt get that shine to them. It tastes ok raw, but I put a little on a peice of homemade bread with Bruschetta and broiled it... viola! Its *great* ! It does not look right raw, but tastes wonderful cooked and is stringy.

Thats all I am asking for! I look forward to trying this again!

Thanks again,

Angela

1 - 3 of 3 Posts