Mowing grass... Pleasure, necessary task, or waste of life's precious minutes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bobp, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

Mine takes 5 or 6 hours with a riding mower. I enjoy the first 2 hours!

2. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Lol that’s a matter of opinion !,to me a mown yard simply looks overgrazed and un cared for.
    No good livestock man would ever let his pastures look like that.

3. blanket

blanket Well-Known Member

I like to mow until july

4. Ozark Momma

Ozark Momma New Member

Have you considered a robotic mower. We love our huskvarna, lots of man hours saved.

5. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

Sounds like she has held up her side of the agreement. I sure don’t understand why you think she shouldn’t have a toll to do so. If your not part of the solution then your part of the problem. Get a dang gum mower. Show the love man.

Story. My neighbor/friend used to drive four hours every Friday and Sunday to come home from her weekday job. She came over to their house on weekends that her husband talked her into buying. She drove four hours each way thru snow and ice six months of the year. After a few years she mentioned to him that she probably would be needing a better or newer car soon. Her husband came home the next time with a brand new car for himself. Moral of the story - don’t be selfish. Give her some love and a new mower.

emdeengee likes this.
  6. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

When my mower is working well, mowing is a pleasure, when it isn't, it's a chore .

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Sure not under standing where your getting 12 to 15.000 for a decent Zero turn mower.

The really good ones now are about 10,000 less than that.

Skag list up to a 72 inch deck with cast iron spindles grease able and a diesel engine about 7000.00.

Exmark List a 60 inch deck 27 HP gas engine commerical rated for 6000.00

Dixion list a 61 inch deck 26HP engine and of course a pedel to lift the deck to get over ruff ground or transport. in the 6500.00 price range

Above listed have thick welded decks not the stamped decks of the 2 to 3 thousand box store ZT decks. All have cast iron spindles and easy service deck belts. All will mow at 9 to 12 MPH.

These are not box store junk pile mowers, they are commercial grade mowers designed for 500 to 1000 hours a year service.

I am going on my fifth year with my ExMark with a 60 inch deck. Have two sets of blades I sharpen and change every other week, Change the oil in the fall and again mid summer.
    Blow out the air filter every week if dusty conditions other wise every other week and I mow a few lawns commercial. Turns on a dine and will give you 9 cents change. I set mine for 3 1/2 inches and the lawns looks really nice when finished. I do have one place with a lot of pine tree roots that stick up I set the deck at 4 inches and the land owners are tickled with how the lawn looks.

Have taken it back to the dealer once for a recall fuse install. other than changeing oil and new air filters every other year I have never had to replace a part so far.

:D Al

Fishindude likes this.
  8. collegeboundgal

collegeboundgal -Melissa

Once we up graded to a ZT mower I couldn't believe how much time it saved us on mowing! When you don't get a lot of time between city jobs and farm jobs, every minute counts! We bought ours used for $1800(?) and it is worth every cent. I LOVE ours!

9. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

With all the cows,goats and rabbits we have,no need to mow

10. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate mowing. A lot. But there is a benefit to a huge weedy "country lawn" - I bag and compost the clippings and get enough, along with leaves and food scraps for all my gardening needs. And my hot composted piles generally don't have the weed seeds of cow manure. I like the smell of cut grass, at least the first few times anyway.

Just curious, how many of you actually do all the "city lawn" stuff like weed and feed, etc. I laugh when my wife suggests this!

11. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Get her a decent mower before she decides to get rid of you for a model that will take of the yard.

Also cutting grass is more than just cosmetic. Keeps snakes, tick, and rodents at bay so you don't meet St Peter earlier than you need too.

emdeengee likes this.
  12. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

I don't do the "city lawn" thing for weed-n-feed-n-seed kinda stuff. But I have every intention of collecting the leaves and clippings for compost. It's right here and it's free for the picking up. My past use of leaves and clippings for compost worked really well and I'd like to do it again. We have around 2 acres of land that we can use for collection purposes.