Mower questions/advice ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sara in IN, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Sara in IN

Sara in IN Well-Known Member

Once upon a time we had a selfpropelled Troybilt sickle bar mower, 40 some inch bar - parts are no longer available - that worked only OK to mow the 2 or so acres that we try to keep looking like something other than scrub, out of our 20 acres of southern Indiana hillside and creek .

Dang thing had a lot of design problems -- cut saplings fine, but blackberries and especially tall grass got tangled in the chain drive of the wheels, and old hidden t posts and barbed wire were hell on the blades :)

Tractor with pull behind mower is not an option as the spaces are tight and terrain is uneven. We have a neighbor mow the 5 acres of flat pasture when it needs it, but edges along the creek, around the barn, and the orchard need more than a 22 " lawnmower and a Weed whacker. Terrain has enough slope and unevenness that I would be charry of a lawn tractor.

Any suggestions as to what equipment might meet our needs ? We need to replace the WeedWhacker, and find something more robust than a standard 20-22 " lawnmower.

Goats are not an option - too expensive to feed to the coyotes and wandering dogs, also goats would not thrive in our erratic work/travel schedules.

Thanks in advance,

Sara in IN

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Here's a link: DR Brush Mower

[​IMG]

You can get attachments for these mowers including snowblower, snowblades, lawn mowing decks and weed whips.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

If you would like a similar sickle device, this company bought the Jari mowers. They operate about 30 miles from me, but I have no experience with the machines. Good home-town older business tho.

http://www.year-a-round.com

--->Paul

4. BCS tractors are alive and well, and are an old line company. They have a sicklebar mower that should make an excellent replacement for you.

In addition to the sicklebar mower, you can get roto-tillers and other attachments. Evan a baler for hay. Not sure though that the baler is a BCS product, or a product of a company in Italy. Companies in Italy make a lot of small equipment. BCS also has a rotary mower as an accessory.

http://www.bcsamerica.com/Index/BCS+Home.htm

If you are interested, I would recommend that you spend the higher dollars and get several speeds in the transmission. I think 3 is standard, 5 optional with the larger horsepower model.

Besides, blue is a pretty color and should be a good selling point.