Mower making clanking noises

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Hears The Water, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all, we have a Husqevarna 6.5 hp push mower. It is about 6 years old. Last month Bailey was mowing with it and pushed it into some tall grass not knowing that there as a pretty big rock in there. Well the mower tossed it out the side, pushing off the guard thingie where a bag can be attached, and tossed the rock past her head and into the garage door. The rock was big enough that it dented the door and scared the you-know-what out of me. It also damaged the mower. At first we thoght it was just a bent blade. So finally yesterday we got a new blade. It fits properly and when you turn it by hand (yes the spark plug is unhooked) it does not hit or rub against any part of the deck. The problem? When you go to start the mower, it blows white smoke and you can hear a deffinate clanking sound. It is metallic in nature, which is what prompted us to double check the blade to make sure it is on right and not hitting anything. Johnnie (14 and VERY distractable) wants to take apart the engine because he thinks the rock must have hit the mower hard enough to off set one of the pistons. I told him we needed to come on here first to see what y'all think. We won't have the money to take it to a repair shop for another month, and we just got rain yesterday so it will be looking like a jungle in here soon. I would very much appreceate it if y'all could give us your opinions as to what it might be. If you think that taking the motor apart would be doable with adult supervision, I would be willing to let him try. He does seem to have some of his late father's mechanical ability, but I admit to being scared of what he could do to it if he is not supervised. Thanks in advance for your help.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Have an experienced person examine the mower before any one disassembles anything, it may be something minor, or it could be as bad as a bend crankshaft. As for letting him mess with it as a first project, that is dicey at minimum. Get him an old worn out engine to practice on, things like timing marks, valve stem clearances have to be correct. If he can tell you what ring end gap is, or the angle of valve seat cuts he is ready to work on working mowers, not before. Start at the library or on line to gain the knowledge.

Its not hard to learn, but there is a lot to learn.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Does it look something like this? [​IMG]

With a Briggs engine? Go ahead and have somebody give you an estimate, but if its the engine forget repairing it. Either get a replacement engine (make sure shaft length and diameter are same) or look for a replacement mower. Just very, very rarely is it worth the money anymore to hire a small engine rebuilt.

By way I think Wally World still sells their $100 low end mower. Its plasticky but same durable flathead 3hp engine B/S has made for years and years. Change oil regularly and either drain gas in fall or use stabilizer and these can last ten years. Few people go to this effort and only top off the oil so only get 3 to 5 years out of them. They are a pain to adjust cutting height you have to unbolt wheels and put wheel bolts in different hole on mower chassis. Plus wheels are cheap little plastic things (can be replaced as needed). The carb is also now plastic. You get the idea. But they are pwerful enough and durable enough to keep small to medium lawn mowed. No self propelled anything, just basic power mower so 3hp is enough.

4. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

You have probably bent the shaft hitting the rock. Do not know why it is blowing white smoke unless it cracked the housing below and you lost oil. Take it to someone with a shaft straightener or make your own. Just a piece of steel plate(1/4 inch will do) that the engine bolts onto. Pull the plug and rotate the shaft(motor). If it does not maintain center you can try straightening it yourself. Let us know how it goes,wc

5. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank y'all for your help. I won't let Johnnie take it apart then. I will try to find someone who knows how to work on mowers.

HJ, yes my mower looks a lot like that only there is no bag attatched to mine.

I will let y'all know what I find out. One thing I know for sure here, is that I will find out what kind of neighbors I have in the next week or so. Either they will complain about my yard or they will come over and see how they can help. Only time will tell.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie