Mower blade

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Aug 8, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:waa:

Yesterday afternoon, while mowing, I hit yet another gigantic rock which bent the blade yet again.

:rolleyes:

The mower will start up and go, but isn't mowing with its usual vigor and shuts down if I go faster than a crawl because the blade is bent *very slightly* down.

I am very tempted to just hammer it back up a bit. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

2. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

I would and then sharpen it, but then again I am no handyman either. Let someone who knows more answer.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

That's what we do, err....dh does! Depending on the mower size, blades are not too expensive, but we usually just hammer it straight.

Deb

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Actually, I just sat down with the mower to take a good look at it, and discovered the things which adjust height are all at different levels.

I really botched the thing a month or so ago when I hit a boulder that was hiding in some high grass (no doubt, put there by someone just to vex me, just like all the rocks I hit) --- I had to take it in after that one and get it fixed. I suspect it would have been a good idea to check the height adjustment things immediately after I got it back.

Oh well. Live and learn. For now, I'm simply going to hike it up as high as it goes, and get back to mowing. I have this feeling if I bang on the blade, I'll probably break the whole thing. :haha: And I REALLY don't want to repair it again this summer. :rolleyes:

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not remove the blade, hammer it flat and then reinstall. Hammering on the blade while attched to the motor shaft may either bend the motor shaft or ruin the bearings that the motor shaft runs on.

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

After I eat lunch, I may try that.

I'm not exactly a mechanical whiz and am, in fact, convinced the blade would go flying off and cut off my legs, if I take it off and try to reattach it.

:haha:

But if it looks to me like I can securely reattach it without jeopardizing my very existence (or that of my neighbors, as I'm also quite certain it might fling itself at 60 MPH through the air, traveling half a mile and decapitating the elderly gentleman down the road :eek: ), I'll gie it a try.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You can remove and replace the blade. Use a wrench that fits the bolt head and not an adjustable wrench. To know which direction to turn the fastener just think of it as the peanut butter jar lid. Mark the blade so that you will know which side is up when you go to replace it. Use a file to dress the damaged area of the blade after the straightening.

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay. I've finished lunch, had an extra big glass of tea and I'm going to try it.

:yeeha:

If I don't report back, I'm either mowing the entire county because the mower cuts so nice or the blade flew off and decapitated me.

:yeeha: