Moving with LOTS of animals.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking for advice on how people have accomplished this in the past.

I'm looking to move in about six months to a year and a half (I'd be moving in the fall, either this year or next year) -- the city's found me and everything I moved out here for is gone. The peace and quiet is gone, the miles of open desert have been swallowed up by hundreds of square miles of mobile homes, and it's time to move on.

Thing is, I'm single and I now have animals. At a minimum, I'd be moving roughly 40-50 breeder chickens -- four LARGE goats, maybe five by fall because I want to get a doe -- two dogs, four cats, guineas, heritage turkeys, etc.

How does one move that many animals? *boggle* I'm sure some of you have done this before. I'd have to sell my property and DO something with them while I bought a parcel up north. What do I DO with all those animals?

I suppose I could board the goats at a stable and the cats/dogs could be kennelled somewhere -- I'm assuming I'd be either renting a week to week apartment or staying with relatives and either way, two heeler mixes and four ranch cats and an apartment? So not happening.

And the birds? I'm not willing to entirely part with the chickens -- I've got a couple breeding projects that would take years to start over with.

Leva

2. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

It depends on how far you move. If it's a long-distance move like Kathy's was, you'll want to make arrangements for the critters at your destination and take them along with all your other things. If it's short-distance, you might be able to leave them with someone where you live now, and then go back and pick them up after you're settled in your new place.

I've only moved with dogs, cats, goldfish and parakeets, so I don't have any experience with moving a "farm". It's pretty amazing what you can load into a moving van plus car on a trailer though, and since you'll be moving in the fall, there'll be less concern about heat.

One thing you can already do is collect cages and kennels - sounds like you'll need a lot of them and they might be hard to come by on short notice.

3. Cygnet

Re: neighbors -- good point. I bet my usual pet sitter would keep them at his house for a fee if I built a few pens there ... hmmm... I have a bunch of kennel panels and could buy a few more for a quick and reasonably dog proof coop.

Also a good point on cages.

It'd be about a 120 mile move if I can find property in the area I want, about 2 hours if I moved at night when there'd be minimal traffic and the birds would be calmer. So easy enough to make multiple trips if I have to.

(The reason for a fall move is that I don't want to move the birds in the summer when it's 110, and I don't want to try to build new pens during the summer, either.)

Leva

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Where are you moving? North you said? As in Flagstaff or Williams? Have you considered southeast AZ?

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Low cost animal carriers can usually be located at thrift stores, this could be an answer for the cats, dogs, and fowl.

6. Cygnet

Hank -- I'd be looking in the Rye/Gisela/Deer Creek/Sunflower/etc. area along the Beeline. I know there's some inexpensive property in Gisela and Deer Creek. I have a good job for a good company in Scottsdale and I want to be within commuting distance. I like my new position too much to quit now. :)

Leva