Moving to the country Feb 1st.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by city_grown, Dec 24, 2005.

1. city_grown

city_grown Active Member

Hello all. Me and my family are moving to the country. It a 65 acre place with an old farm house. We are planning on living in that house for a year or so. Wife, Me, 3 yr old (boy), and 2 yr old(girl). I have many questions. My family has been leasing the land out for many years for a guy to farm it 40 acres. I have an old barn to tear down as it is a safety hazard. Any other dumb threads I start pease just bare with me. Thanks all.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

why are you going to stay in the house a year or so are you building another one

3. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Take a soil sample of the soil. Most people that lease land just take from the soil with out putting anything back. Your soil will probably need lots an lots of Lime. This is to raise the PH level up to an acceptable Level 6 or 7 .

4. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

city grown, welcome to the homestead! :)

Are you planning on doing any farming yourself? Or maybe just a little hobby farm? Or are you just going to live there and keep up the land leasing with the farmer?

Anyhow, hopefully you like where you are and what you're going to do with your property.

DD

5. city_grown

city_grown Active Member

We plan on building another one. The old farm house only has one bath and it is very small. My father will probably move down there sometime when his health goes and he would stay in the farm house. I think the guy that farms it has done ok he used to farm it with his dad and now on his own for about the last 25 years. We do plan on growing some of our own food. I have recently started reading the Country Living book by Carla Emery.

Here are some photos of the land its in Union County, NC near the Anson County border hopefully 20 years from any development real close by.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c90/city_grown/

6. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Congats :clap:
    tnborn

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Congrats! Great place to raise a family! It will be a challenge at times but just take one thing at a time and don't get overwhelmed. There aren't enough hours in the day to do everything you need to do let alone everything you want to do so just make a list of priorities and do one thing at a time. You're going to be one tired puppy but it is the good kind of tired.

Are you absolutely sure you need to tear down the barn? Sometimes they aren't quite as bad as they look. Patching up an old barn can be much cheaper than building a new one especially when the tax man finds out you built a new one.