moving to missouri

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shasta, May 6, 2004.

1. shasta

shasta Member

Hello,

My daughter and I drove to Missouri from New Jersey and fell in love with the beauty of Missouri. We hiked in the parks and particularly loved the area around Mountain Grove. I have been looking at some real estate on the internet but would love to hear from some of the folks around there. I am in the health care field as a nuclear medicine technologist. Would someone be kind enough to tell me about your lovely state? I read a lot about it on the internet and read a few books but first hand information is always the best.

Thank you.

shasta

2. mike0331

mike0331 Member

tis my home southern mo. is reasonable most of the jobs are in ark cause of wal mart

3. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I live a ways south of Mountain Grove. I like MO living. It's slower paced in the country. You can drive a few miles and the pace picks up. If you miss big cities, just drive to St Louis. You will welcome the quite peacefulness of the country.

There are jobs in MO. Most are min wage or just above. Medical fields are always in need. Most of them pay pretty decent.

Mo. has a lot of pretty country. There are all sort of things to see.

Grocery prices are going up along with gas prices, but they are doing that all over.

The weather is pretty decent. If you don't have a sinus problem, move to MO. you will have one before long.

You can check the internet listing in Real Estate for Mo areas. There are places for sale all over. About a mile from me is a really nice house, with 30 acres. I do not know what the selling price is. I think it is listed with Century 21.

Keep us informed as to what you decide.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We live about 20 minutes west of Mtn. Grove, in Mansfield. It is a beautiful area and I love it here!
    Mtn. Grove sets between (kinda) Springfield and West Plains, and is about 40 minutes to each. They're the closest cities for shopping and the job market. Springfield is much larger than West Plains.

Here's probably the best link for real estate in this area: http://morealestate.net/

We have lots and lots of national and state forest with hiking trails here, and lakes as rivers as well. If you're an outdoors person, it truly doesn't get much better than the Ozarks.

While it's not Hawaii, I love our full four seasons here. Sure, the summers are hot and humid and we have ticks and chiggers. The winters are great, usually averaging around 30-40 degrees, but we occasionally get some temp's down around zero and a couple snowfalls a year (just enough to enjoy!) we also are blessed with 50-70 degree days scattered throughout the winter.

Spring and Fall are unsurpassed in the Ozarks.

One of my favorite things here is being able to take a drive on many of the other roads and never see another car. We have spent alot of time tooling around on the back road in the Jeep with the top off, and some of the sights you see along the way are just amazing.

Ok I'll shut up now :)

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi and we love Missouri too. We live in the small town of Salem. It is about 25 miles south of Rolla. We moved here about 9 years ago and and never looked back. The weather is really pretty nice year round. There is a bit too much heat about a month to a month and a half but the humitidy is not "real" bad. The winters are not always bad either. There are some cold times but overall I think it is pretty reasonable. Property prices are low in the state overall and in most countys the taxes and utitities are reasonable. The poverty level overall is high in this state. I don't believe you would have any difficulty getting a job in nuclear med. at all but the difference in the average medium income in mo and your state will probally differ so you would probally have to take a pay cut. There are so many thing to do here. One of our favorites is camping and we really Love Montauk State park. It is trout fishing heaven and is just a wonderful place. You can check it out on line at www.mostateparks.com .
    We were volunteer campground hosts there last year for the month of March and we love it. We only live about 20 minutes away from the park so it was great. Good luck with your search.

Belinda

6. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew up in MO and even tho I have a home in CO I have been here in MO for the last 2 years helping my family. I am moving back to my home in CO at the end of May, finally. It is nice here and all the trees and lakes and camping, the four seasons and the Ozarks are just grand in the fall. Every one would like us to stay but I have 2 problems--the taxes on food and the personal property taxes. We have neither in CO. The pp tax is what gets me. Every year you have to pay to own your vehicles, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, RV's, flat bed trailers, etc. This is in addition to buying your license plates every year. Totally seperate taxes.

I can get around the food tax by going to the commissary at any military base but not the personal property tax! That's my only complaint about MO!

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Shasta,I PM'd you
    BooBoo

8. ducktapehero

ducktapehero Active Member

If you move to Missouri you should go to Sikeston or Ozark and eat at Lamberts. It was rated #1 place to "pig out" in America on a cable show.(I don't remember which) Awesome cooking and EVERYTHING is all you can eat.

http://www.throwedrolls.com/

9. pegasuslanding

pegasuslanding Member

Well we just moved to Mountain Grove from Maryland. We love it here, it is so beautiful. We are still working on getting jobs though. It seems that we are overqualified for everything. If you work in the medical field I suggest you pick either northern Wright county (that's where we are), Lacleade county or somthing closer to Springfield. Lebanon (Lacleade Co.) has a hospital and a lot of clinics. Of course it gets more expensive as you get closer to Springfield, but I think you will find it quite a bit cheaper than NJ. We found our ranch on the internet, for sale by owner. They were nice people and we got a good deal. However there is still a lot of work to be done on the property. If you want I could also give you the name of an real estate agent we worked with. She was very helpful, we just happened to like the "sale by owner" place the best.

10. shasta

shasta Member

Hi,

I was interested when you mentioned about jobs. Is it always tough to find one? Are you still sure you made the right move? I have looked at some places in Wright county and you are right, it is beautiful there.

shasta