Moving the pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I think maybe my pigs are weird, or smart, or maybe just poorly trained? I wanted to move them about 300' across the open yard, the yard they've explored a few times and left once when they escaped their old poultry netting enclosure. When I built their polytape enclosure I didn't make a gate, and from what everyone said I wondered if I'd get them to leave that spot. Well, once I took down teh fence, it took them all of 5 minutes to roam. They just walked right over it lying on the ground! They had fun in the fenced garden while I worked on their new spot. I gave them no lunch and had chocolate covered donuts at the ready! I was very nervous about getting them across the yard, which is unfenced, but they just followed right along! :hobbyhors(I'm a hog wrassler! :p ) They are now happily rooting up their new home and munching on the little saplings I want them to destroy. Bless their cooperative little hearts! :dance:

If the polytape only has two strands, what height should they be for medium sized pigs, ~150 lbs?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Another successful pig venture! This forum is on a roll :dance: Congratulations :) Electric tape works at whatever height will hit them in front, like snout height and then ear height. The tape works if it shocks and the pig goes backward. I had Oinky's tape at about 8 inches from the ground and then about 24 inches.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

My pigs too, just walked over the electrical tape lying in the dirt......but alas - we spent the next hour chasing one all over our two acres! One was cooperative and the other was NOT! My dh is a pig wrassler.

Niki

4. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

They can suprize you. I had a sow literally getting into the trailer before I was ready to load her! But the other one transported that day had to be wrestled a little. They do have their personalities.

5. Firefly

8 and 24! Guess I better raise the upper one tomorrow!

Niki that is exactly what I was afraid of, except I only have one acre and the last time they escaped--which was THE last time, if you catch my drift--they went down the road! So I was pretty nervous. What a relief!

I should have said pig wrangler. I always wanted to be Dale Evans. I think this is as close as I'm gonna get! :hobbyhors :rolleyes:

We ARE all on a roll, aren't we? And the only reason I am is because of all you wonderful, nutty, air-about-you folks on the pig forum! :buds:

6. Firefly

I had the donut lure because of a friend's experience loading several 200 lb pigs and their 800 lb mother. They'd been denied breakfast and were led in with food. They all went in willingly but mom broke the ramp! Then she ran over to the feed barrel and ate to her heart's content. While her DH rebuilt the ramp, my friend drove into town and got the donuts. That was the only food the sow would go for on a full stomach!

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Firefly- Aka The Hog Whisperer.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Remember Oinky is 350 pounds. She might be taller than your guys. Also the tape sags between posts - drops about four inches looks like. So depend on how far apart your posts are too.

Is this the first time you have pigs? I remember someone else on this forum a while ago I think, that enticed her pigs with donuts :)

9. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Firefly - The weight of hogs is very deceptive due to their muscle mass and density. Unless you are weighing them on the scale in front of the Drugstore, a pig that "LOOKS LIKE" 150 pounds is probably 200,LOL

10. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

"The Hog Whisperer"...that is way too funny!!LOL

Good for you Firefly...glad it worked. I am surprised that they walked over that tape...you wouldn't believe the fights I have had trying to move pigs through a gate that had been electrified. Maybe it was the donuts...I know I would take a lot of punishment for a chocolate covered donut. Pigs aren't that different from the farmer it would seem!

I have my fencing low...about 8 inches and 14-18 inches. That way, I can step over it when I need to. Haven't had a grand prix jumper out of my Black herd yet!!

11. Firefly

They walked over the tape way before they saw any donuts. Maybe being hungry made them bolder? But they did learn that fences can be benign sometimes. Re the donuts, that was me I think, mentioning that I had a friend who used them. The whole way over Sunshine was sniffing like crazy trying to find the chocolate. But they also really went for the melon rind; Puerco followed me very closely for that! I'm so glad I can get more fruit and vegies for them now. Maybe I'll even get my own garden going finally.

Re the fence, glad to know I don't have to redo it, whew! With the different soil the zap isn't quite as strong, making me a bit nervous, but they seem to be fine. Even when startled they understand their confinement. Word of advice: dont' hold onto the T post and touch the tape at the same time! :eek: :nono:

They are now near the house, close to the screened porch that I'm sleeping on for the summer. It's fun to be able to watch them more closely. They sure do sleep a lot!

Thank you guys for your help and encouragement, and your sense of humor! :1pig:

Firefly :hobbyhors AKA Dale Evans, AKA...Robert Redford?!

12. Firefly

Finally measured them. Sunshine weighs 142 and Chubby Buddy Puerco, who eats lying down :rolleyes: is 170! They were born around the end of January. Is that a good rate of gain?