Moving rhubarb.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jodi, May 30, 2004.

1. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

I have 3 very large rhubarb plants in my yard I would like to move to a different location. Is there a certain time of year that it's best to do this?

Thanks.

Jodi

2. Jay1

Jay1 Active Member

Sorry, I don’t have the time right now to explain, but it’s all here.

The Rhubarb Compendium: This compendium is a collection of rhubarb information from many sources. Some of the information is from world wide web pages or postings to various news groups

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

#8 - Rhubarb Propagation

3. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jay. The site provided me the info I needed and has a lot more interesting things. I bookmarked it for future reading!

Jodi

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Jodi, It's easiest to move early in the spring when it first comes up. If they are large clumps take your shovel and cut straight down through them to create root balls 8 or 10 inches across. Then shove the shovel down below the pieces as far as possible. Move each piece to a new hole in a sunny place. Set them about 3 feet apart in a row, and you'll have enough rhubarb for the whole family the second year. Be sure to water them in real well so there are no air pockets around the plants. Rhubarb likes fertile ground. A manure mulch in the fall helps as does an application of bagged fertlizer. I would rather not have manure around the stalks I'm going to eat.
    You could do this now if you are willing to water them regulary through the summer until they get established.

5. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

Thank you, Uncle Will. I have to ask...what part of Indiana are you from? I'm in Jasper County.

Jodi

6. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Here in Wis., we moved ours the end of last July------very hot and dry----probably the worst time to move it.
    Thought we killed it for sure, but within 3-4 weeks we had a wonderful, new crop of rhubarb and this spring, its come back better than ever.

Early spring is really the BEST.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jodi. We live between Rochester and Logansport in the north edge of Cass County. We have an evergreen windbreak completely around our buildings that was started by the State at the Jasper Pulaski tree farm.

8. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

and have moved it in the middle of summer and it came back strong the next year. It does compost well and makes good wine. (and who can have too much Apple Rhubarb Ginger crisp! LoL!)

I have wondered though, if my rhubarb is so strong because it came from a local plant that has been here 100 years or so. It is well adapted to this area as are all the plants that come from it, where the greenhouse stuff seems more sensitive for other people I've talked to.

~Michael in Boise