moving preggo does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Teacupliz, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

We bought a bigger farm and are working hard to finish things in this house to sell it. Looks like my timing is all wrong. I have 10 goats due around February 12th and we may be moving to our new farm around the same time. I was hoping all of you have idea for me to make me quit worrying. I know when we move I can ride in trailer with the goats, it is a 30 minute ride. I will try to make it as easy as possible for the ladies. Anything else you can think of to make it easy on them. Would it be better to move just before, right after is possible?? I may not get a big choice-- depending on banks and lawyers.
    I trust God to help us threw this.
    IDEAS please--Liz in NY
    THANKS
    Teacup Farm

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Just move them. They will be okay. They are far along enough that is shouldn't bother them. I would only worry if they weren't heavy bred.

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

It will help if the driver is careful and *thinks* of the goats while they are driving. In other words, accelerate slowly, slow down before braking, turn slowly/gently, and the like. If there is a very bossy or dominant doe, it might be good to tie her in a forward corner so that she doesn't bash the others.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

The theory is not to move goats right before kidding but I'm thinking they'll probably be fine. The actual ride, since it's short wouldn't bother me as much as possible stress of new surroundings, but this I think would only be of concern just before delivery. You may have certain individuals that go with the flow or others who are the "needy" and fussy kind. If I had a choice I would likely opt to wait til after kidding to make the move. I'd give them some Probios before the transport. I'm betting either way, they'll do well, especially if you have calm, well adjusted goats to begin with.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Hopefully your goats are friendly, because it's important not to run them when they are close to kidding time. Babies can get into and be born in weird positions if the does are run. Otherwise, there should be no problem. My friend has shipped pregnant does to dairies and some have even kidded in transit with no problems.