Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is moving and wants to give me their pony. It's a gelding that's pretty friendly around people but hasn't lived with another animal in years.

Think I'd have any issues moving him in with the rams? And eventually living with a breeding group over the winter? I have an empty pasture that borders the rams pasture so they could meet each other through the fence ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
My brother got a donkey one time, supposed to be a guard donkey. Next day he went out and 2 dead sheep, next day the same. He watched and the donkey was kicking the sheep in the head....James

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
All I can say is you can give it a try.

A few things can happen, depending on how aggressive your Rams are,, they could break one of the ponies legs Ramming him, or the pony could chase them... or they could get along.

I have a miniature mare in with my sheep right now, she loves them. I do not have any rams though. Just wethers and ewes.

Many Donkey's can be wicked with other animals... my Jenny would try to stomp anyone smaller than her.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We've kept full sized horses in with our sheep. Horses sometimes terrorized the sheep and sheep sometimes terrorized the horses.

I would give it a try and if it doesn't work well for either animal let them know.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have horses that run with my various groups of sheep. I have one mare that will chase them off food. I've seen the ram try to butt heads with one of the geldings when he came over to check out their left overs (it's pretty funny cuz horse just picks his head up and laughs at him ). I have a friend and her sheep will actually group up under her horses. Put him next door and see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts