moving polled icelandics

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by tavia, Nov 28, 2006.

1. tavia

tavia Well-Known Member

I'm soooo excited! We're getting 3 polled Icelandics in a week, and we've only had horned so far. The horned are easy to catch and move because of their horns. To move them, you grab their horns and straddle them and "ride" them.
    I'm a little nervous about moving these polled sheep into our car (yes, our car) and then to the barn when we get home. They will likely be flighty and scared, so grain probably won't work at first.
    So what do people do? Are halters or collars the way to go? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    -Tavia

2. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Mine are horned, but I do use rope halters when we need to move them across open, unfenced areas.

The back of our 12 passenger van is the sheep vehicle of choice here. :)

3. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Congrats on your pollies. I have polled shetlands, and we use the nylon halters from Midstate Wool Growers. If the sheep are flighty, have one person lead, one behind to "push the go button" (gentle one-hand squeeze on the rump, just above the tail.)
    Make sure the halter is on good, they can slip them.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Why not just rent a trailer?

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Halters are good. At least until you can get them to follow the grain can.

There's some talk/controversy over crossing the polled with the horned icelandics...you may want to read up on it. Some folks won't purchase the crosses.

6. tavia

tavia Well-Known Member

thanks everyone. I got some cheap rope halters from jeffers. I hope they do the trick. I'll have some grain on hand too.