Moving on up

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Mar 26, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Ok people I'm fixing to get me a few bucks soon but they will not be ready to breed my does until later. Now on this question I'm hoping to get a full blooded Nigeran buck in June or July. Are they hard to keep in a pen or not? I have heard that bucks can be a pain in the buns at times. So tell me your all expercie on that.

What I mean on moving on up is this. Hopeing to breed some my does next year and get me so good full blooded bucks to have plus more does. And going to add some Lamachas also. Sheww wee now if I anit hook on goats and chickens lol... :cool:

Thanks..

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Start with good pens, don't have your bucklings in make shift areas that they learn to get out of or worse jump. You teach them to jump or pull down poor fencing, then fix the fence and make it higher, they learn to jump it, they just learn to jump higher :) Soon you have olympic athelets jumping over anything, because you trained them to do this!

Bucks are ruined by folks who do not treat them as the intact LIVESTOCK males they are from birth. They baby them, coddle them, let them play with you just like you are another goat. Then when they are 2, no longer cute and pretty, they pee all over themselves, and then they try to play with you like they did when they were small, all of a sudden they are dangerous, nasty creatures. Worse are the folks who keep these herd animals all by themselves, the only goat they ever see is you, and you hit them with sticks, shoot them with water, or shock them with prodes, all because they are showing normal goat behavior you taught them when they were young. A male goat alone is a horribly lonely guy, he craves attention, and like a battered child would rather be beaten than ignored, so if it takes him running after you in the pen to get any attention at all, it's what you taught him to do! A little over the top, yes, but that cute little bundle of fluff at 8 pounds is going to grow into a big stinking man in about 2 years, don't ruin him, teach him manners and always have 2 or 3 bucklings raised out together.

As much time as you spend on the boards finding about nutrition for your does, feed the same to your bucks. Keep their feet trimmed, clean water, and as nice as the doe stalls are the bucks do well with the same. Vaccinate, worm and give your bucks the same care as your doe, to say they are half your herd is trite, when in fact without good bucks your herd can never get better, bucks are your herd. Vicki

3. AllWolf

I love all my goats and never would leave them alone. No matter how stinkey they get. I have a wether now he thinks he a buck and acting buckey but he can't do a thing LOL.. I would never ever leave my goats alone and when get older not want to play with them. I enjoy all my animals. All my animals are treated equal no other. I have never once hit my goats with anything I have to say NO NO sometimes but never hit them that is bad. I will also have a few wethers to go with my buck not alone. A goat alone is awful. All my animals has buddies none alone. I have learned how to trim hoofs but also have a vet that comes to help out on them when needs shots so I think that is in the clear. I have med incase someone gets sick also. My buck will not be alone he have buddies. I do not believe in having a goat all by themselves at all..

4. AllWolf

I hope no one on here thinks I ask to many questions on things. That is how I learn and learn what is right and good to do. I know I read alot also but as far as I remember never ask about what to feed goats but ask other questions on how to do this to a goat or other things. Humm now got me to thinking..

Now is this a good thing or bad>> As much time as you spend on the boards finding about nutrition for your does, feed the same to your bucks. Keep their feet trimmed, clean water, and as nice as the doe stalls are the bucks do well with the same. Vaccinate, worm and give your bucks the same care as your doe, to say they are half your herd is trite, when in fact without good bucks your herd can never get better, bucks are your herd. Vicki

HUMM do not remember asking about food for goats but do chickens..LOL.. :D Not trying to sound harsh but did I misread this to be a bad thing?

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Please dont be affended,Read between the lines. I have learned alot from the people on this board and some have given me the Gutts to do what needs to be done.I have followed some to learn all I can because I believe in their ways.I respect them and the knowlage they give.I have been affended, untill thought about over and realized what they meant.Thats why I said read between the lines.We, They ,are here for your good and bad.God Bless!