Moving Dilemma

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, Aug 29, 2004.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone. I need some help! I am thinking of moving to eastern Washington from Atlanta, GA, but I've got six goats and 60 chickens and guineas. How would I move all of them across country? How much would I be looking at spending?

2. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

In a stock trailer?

Unless your stock is irreplacable breeding stock, sell them and buy new when you are resettled in a new home.

3. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Now, granted, I am new to chickens and all that jazz, but as someone who lives in "Chickendale" (very near Tyson HQ), we see chicken trucks headed to slaughter ALL the time... I couldn't imagine that, even in larger accomodations an *not* headed to slaughter, any chicken would do well on a long journey like that (especially in an open trailer like a stock trailer) :no: I agree with Laura- sell and buy new when you get there.

My .02 worth! :haha:

in Him,
    Timedess

4. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Forgot to mention, too- consider whether your current animals would be able to handle the change in climate/temperatures if you were to take them from GA all the way to WA. You'd hate to go to all the expense and trouble of moving them, plus the trauma to the birds, and then find out they don't like Washington winters! :)

T

5. Okanoganer

Okanoganer New Member

Hello, TNGirl What part of eastern washington are you moving to? The climate varies greatley in Eastern Washington. Were I live in the Okanogan High Lands we have very mild winters with little snow and very few days below 0 Degrees, but just 25 miles to the West of us in the Methow they get 3 to 5 feet of snow and below zero temps are very common. Moved are 2 QH's, 2 Yaks and 4 goats here from Colorado. Was a very easy trip, all I suggest is that you arrange as many stop of points as possible, so the goats can get out of the trailer and exercise. Do you have experience towing a stock trailer long distances,and over mountain passes? Good Luck! ,Shawn

6. deogloria11

deogloria11 Member

I agree, I don't think the chickens will do well. Mine freaked out just driving home 1 hour away when I bought them. Plus, imagine the space and cages needed to haul 60 chickens across country. I did it with four dogs, and wow, a big pain.

Plus, for sure you'll need to get checkup, shots, and other stuff for your horse to cross state lines. You may even have to do that for the chickens, don't know.

Good luck!

7. deogloria11

deogloria11 Member

just realized you had GOATS not horses, lol. STill, you might need papers for goats too. Check it out first.