Moving Bee's?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Lostlove, May 13, 2005.

1. Lostlove

Lostlove Member

I have a hive of bee's that I need to get rid of. The bee's made their hive in a old tire. They are very agressive, friend found them by accident, he was stung too many times to count. I know nothing about bees, what is the best way to solve this problem?

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

First thing you should do is to ID the bees. Are they honeybees or are they yellowjackets, wasp, hornets?? Too many people make the mistake of saying "bees" when they are actually something else.

3. JennDBass

JennDBass Wannab crunchy mama

How big is the tire?

For an easy fix... dump a big trash can upside down on them. Preferably a dark one... in the hot sun... those guys will bake in there. If they don't... a day or two later you can poke a hole and spray them... The ones trapped outside will have moved on.

Another Idea: THrow a bug bomb (FROM A SAFE DISTANCE!) you don't have to hit close... Just pick a non-breezy day.

4. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

where do you live?
    are they honeybees?
    what instigated the stinging?
    if they are honeybees, a beekeeper may be interested in taking the colony, requeening it, and leaving it in an isolated outyard until all the nasty bees have outlived their lives and the bees from the new queen have replaced the population. If they are truly nasty though, and not just protecting their home, they are not worth saving.

justgojumpit

5. WayneH

WayneH Active Member

The meanest bees I ever owned were from the outside wall of Church that's well over a hundred years old. My friend Granville said they were mean because I didn't use "Holy Smoke".

The only way to tame there was to re-queen and wait!