Moving and how to move red raspberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Momish, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Momish

Momish Well-Known Member

Hi :)

We are moving and we want to bring our red raspberries along. A friend gave us about 6-8 baby plants this spring and we want to bring them along to our new home. How should we do this? Does it matter how much root we get? Will us digging them up (even though they are dormid right now) hinder them? Should we trim them before we move? How should we transport? (in a bucket, wrapped,....???) We really want to bring them and don't want to lose any! :(

Thanks in advance!

2. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

Raspberries propogate through the root system so I'd take as much of it as I could. Cut them back to 6 inches and dig them out. You can transport them in with the roots wrapped in a plastic bag or in a bucket. Amount of dirt is not going to matter this time of year. Soak them in Miracle Grow overnight and plant them in their new location. They ought to do fine.

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

When we moved the Oct before last.. I had these wonderful raspberry plants at the old farm. I have moved them from place to place all these years I don't remember what kind they are. The grow twice as big as any raspberry I have seen, and the flavor.. oh my.... :cowboy:
    Anyway,, I, not to kindly, pulled out some stocks, making sure I had the young green canes. Put them in pots with the Garden soil they were growing in.
    I only have two starts left,,and I hope they survive this winter as they are still in pots.
    Raspberries are pretty hardy,, but take as many starts as you can to make sure.
    I did not take enough,, but we were rushed.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if you're moving from rental property or if you're selling, but if you are selling the place, you'd better do a double-check before you pull the plants.

Most sales contracts include "all existing vegetation." So unless the buyers don't want the berry canes, or you wrote an exclusion in the contract, you are legally required to leave them there.

I had to leave behind some lovely, young Cortland apple trees because of the sale of my house. :(

Pony!

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

What I did when we moved it Tagged with Ribbon every plant I would be taking. Then you tell the Realestate agent and put a flyer up on the door of the house or on the kitchen counter.
    No one had a problem with it.

Did not have enough time to take all the tagged plants. Only had a few that were going to come with me any way.