Moving a wood stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bear, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I have a Lopi wood stove insert in my fireplace and I want to move it. It isn't big, but it does weigh 380 lbs. or more. I have no help so I must try to do this myself. Anyone have any ideas or homemade contraptions as how to get it out of there? Thanks in advance! Jim

2. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Levers and leverage to remove it. Wheels to move it.

3. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

what about them wheels that they sell for under fridges??I have the same problem..My living room stove will hafta be moved for me to get the new flooring in..I,m not loving the thought of doing it.

4. brewswain

brewswain Well-Known Member

Today I moved a wood crate with 500 pounds in it. I used a prybar under a corner to lift it about 3/4" and then put a broomstick under it and rolled it until the broomstick was centered under it, then added another broomstick under the front. Push until a broomstick comes out the back, then put it in the front again. 3 rollers works better. You can use pipes instead. bigger pipes work better over rough floor

5. stars01

stars01 Well-Known Member

We moved our Lopi out of our van with a motorcycle jack and across the lawn with a skateboard. However, there was two of us.

Best wishes, please be careful with your back.

Paula

6. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

To move our big kitchen wood stove, DH build a metal frame with some sort of steel mesh and put wheels on it. We lifted up on side of the stove and pulled the metal contraption under it and scooted until it was on. Then just rolled it to the door. Then he used the forks on the tractor lift to reach in and get it down the steps and then on to the lift. Hauled it down to the storage trailer and unloaded it and rolled it to where it is stored. Still on the contraption.

7. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

yes, but it will cost you a few bucks.

Get you some PVC above ground winter pipe (thick walled pvc). These come in 8 foot sections (any many other sizes) and are pretty cheap (get 4 of them). Like 3-5 bucks each. Cut them down with a hand saw or any type of saw. Into 16" sections. Lift one side and kick in as many as you can. Then lift and kick some more. Lift the other side. Kick some in there as well.

Then make a trail of the rest of the cut offs spaced about 9 inchest apart going the way you would like to go. Stopping and picking up the used rollers then placing them along your trail.

Yes, this works on carpet.

Push. Should move pretty easy.

We move 10K pound machines this way with steel pipe. The PVC works best on carpet and is cheap.

This works best with long heavy items.

In your case (if it is under 4 feet) a dolly with a ratchet strap and a local kid may work.

8. mdharris68

mdharris68 Well-Known Member

Jim. are you wanting to slide it out of the fireplace opening for flue cleaning or are you removing it out of the house?

I pull mine out on a heavy shelf/table I built to hold it while cleaning the flue. I can slide mine out by myself though. If yours is in the opening with close tolerances, you will need to see how far you can pry the front up and use that space as a guide to what size of roller you need and steel pipe works the best.

if you need to move it out of the house, longer lengths of pipe laid parallel pointed towards door and push for all your worth. There are also things called duct lifts that you can rent. to roll something like this across floor. I am sure there are many ways to move it . Hope you get it done safely.

9. brewswain

brewswain Well-Known Member

umm, isn't this what I said?

10. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

To wheel a wood stove into our garage, I rented the contraption (name?) for pulling motors out of cars. Straps to stove, then lifted it up. Worked very nice for positioning it. Don't know if that'd work in your situation.

11. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We call the "use round things under heavy stuff to move it" the Egyptian Method, since this is how they moved the blocks of stone for the pyramids. It is slow, and you want to make sure your rollers don't give so much height to the object you're moving that it becomes top heavy and topples (especially something sooty.. won't do the carpet any good).

I'd suggest the Egyptian Method, as suggested above, but put down plastic and a sheet to protect the floors.

12. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

To extract from the fireplace, we used an engine hoist. You can rent them from most all rental places.
    Slide it out as far as you can and put wide tie down straps under and gather them at the hoist hook.
    Lift a bit and slide. Repeat as necessary.

Let it down onto furniture dollys and away you go.

13. Cheribelle

Cheribelle Well-Known Member Supporter

We used those plastic glider things under ours. It is soapstone, and ridiculously heavy, but 2 of us got it in and added together we don't weigh 300#. I think they are called EZ Glides

14. pheasantplucker

pheasantplucker Well-Known Member Supporter

You know those boards with castors that mechanics scoot around under cars on lifts? I forget what they're called. I'd use one of them.

15. CurlyHfarm

CurlyHfarm We farm for fun

I just moved ours last night into the house and down into the basment, I called a bunch of buddys and told them to come over for monday night football I had pizza and beer, I had more help than I could use. Good Luck

16. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

Hey.

An appliance handcart like they use to move refridgerators. They are very strong and have a crude roller system built in to go down stairs if needed.

RF