Moving a log building

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm not very enthusiastic about this idea but there's a pretty nice log barn not far from me (a little over a mile) that can be had cheap (under 1k) Anyone ever disassemble and move one? What sort of equipment did you use and what would have made it easier?

2. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

how big?

3. Ross

24x20x14(?) storey and a half, decemt rof but I was going to chuck it in favour of new 2x8 rafters with a steeper pitch and dormers, and new steel. There's a second 20x20x10 attached to it with a barn board breeze way that I'd use for spare logs etc. unl;ess everything went better than expected. I should take some pictures...........

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross, I moved a bigger one but only for a few hundred feet. I put two skid poles (trees) under the building somewhat like sled runners. Then braced the skids so they could not move inward toward each other. We hooked a 986 IH farm tractor to the front via a chain to each runner to "steer" and put the Cat 955 to the rear to push. We crossed a state road with the rig but otherwise we were on dirt. Wasn't much of a task, the bottom logs carried the building weight just fine and the skid poles showed little wear other than the highway rash.

5. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I worked around alot of log buildings for several years ... agmantoo's idea sound's about as good as it gets .... we disassembled them, numbered the logs and rebuilt them. It would be easier to move all of it at one time ... if you can manage it.

6. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

It isnt that hard to disassemble a log structure normally if is good solid logs still.

What type of contruction method was used? full scribe logs? or are they chinked with something? butt and pass or saddle notch? run a metal locator over the wall is there rebar inside the runs? are the logs pegged/dowled on the runs or corners? lots of questions to consider.... might be cheaper to hire a helicopter and fly it over to yer place!!!

a small crane/ heel boom with log tongs or a double set of tongs or pigs feet if the logs are short enough to lift the logs straight up one another...

Building in place is what log builders like to do, but we also build on our site, tear down and move to your site.... then nail the logs in place so depending on the method used and whats inside the wall can determine if its better to buy it or charge the fella to remove it!

William

7. Ross

It was built before rebar and nails and the charge for the building will be dependant on it coming down it usable condition........ it has to go regardless. I'll get some photos to try and answer questions. I doubt seriously that it can move intact, but I won't dismiss anything. Roof off and top 4 feet then jack it up and weld an I beam frame under it..... Dis-assembly sounds easier.