Moving a log barn-> photos

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

OK these are pics of a barn I'm thinking about moving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I have no clue as to how to move it, but it's a great looking barn.

3. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

A great looking barn indeed!

Have you decided how you're going to move it?

cheers,

4. barn-apart

barn-apart Well-Known Member

Ross,
    Best idea is to skid it if possible, if not We use an extendable reach forklift, a 8,000 # 40' reach genneraly. # the logs with ear tags of different colors for each wall. The forklift will need no chains , hooks or ties. simply poke the forks though the wall between the logs one at a time, lift out and set on your transport vehicle. There may be wood pins in the top course or so of logs that may resist being lifted off, if so saw the underside of the top log to cut the pin. By the pictures it looks like a simple lap knotch corner, should come apart easily and restack the same.
    The lift,s are rentable for about $300/ day plus delivery and pickup Another $150 maybe. Small unit like yours would probably be dismantled and rebuilt in a couple days with a few friends and a preparred foundation.
    Good luck.
    If I can help further email if you like
    Rick

5. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I agree, the skid is the best idea. That's a really nice barn.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Maybe I missed it earlier...

How far do you have to move it, what are the dimesions? The width is the most important. Ideally the easiest way to move it would be to jack it up and put i beams across it, back a low boy trailer under it and drive it away, you'll obviously have to seperate the two portions of it and I would do some cross beam nailing of 2x6's in an "x" fashio on the sides and ends to keep it from shifting.

Will you need permits?, I would assume that you will face some problems from electric lines.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Its 24x20x14 or about a storey and a half. I hadn't thought of skiddign it. Maybe with the roof off it might fit. Permits would be expected, if it moved whole if it moved as a pile of logs, there'd be no problem. Resting it on a foundation is what I'd want but I admit I'm a bit stumped, as to how to replicate the original profile for the bottom logs to rest on.

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

if you tear it down, the bottom logs will then be available to use as a template for setting up a foundation.....

hard for me to make myself clear on this one, but pour the slab.... and then build a form set for the wall/log thickness, pour the concrete and set the log into the mud...... this will form around the log.... similar to using a scribe on a full scribe method...... just kinda in reverse....

Another option would be to purchase some similar sized logs and set a new bottom log in place scribing it to the current bottom log for leveling, thus the new log sets firm on the new foundation..... I know getting 4 logs might prove more expensive than building from scratch....

AS for moving in one piece, a person could also take cable and fix it corner to corner "X" fashion for keeping it in square and stable as well as bracing the corners with lumber, and adding cable cross ties each direction too.... it wouldnt take much as in 1/8 inch cable /wirerope even as long as it was tight to start with.....

Now i know why you sed that if you had that building and your neighbor had a feather up his ...... you would both be tickled!!! OKOKOKOK so you didnt say that but i thought at least i could add a little humour into those cold looking pix.

William