Moving a car cross country

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Leah IL, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Leah IL

    Leah IL momto6

    Aug 14, 2004
    Does anyone know how I can go about having a car picked up and driven to where I live, besides doing it myself? I searched "auto transport" and found quite a few results, but the prices were outrageous. My mother in law has given us her car, but it is in Florida and we are in Illinois so we have to somehow get it here. Flying there and driving back isn't possible for us right now, so any ideas?


  2. lacyj

    lacyj Well-Known Member

    May 14, 2002
    Calif, The Mother Lode
    There are companies for this, they used to be called "driveaway Cars", something like that. Most major cities have companies. I drove a car from Michigan to CA in the 70's this way. The driver pays gas, has a time limit and a miles limit. The owner pays a fee and covers insurance and any break downs.

  3. jgbndaudio

    jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

    Jan 26, 2005
    New York

    There are two types of Auto transport.
    One is where they ship the car on a flatbed or in a trailer. The second is where they provide a driver to drive the car to you. As you already know both are generally very expensive. Having made my living doing extensive amounts of traveling for the last fifteen years, here is what I'd recommend. I have done this for some of my friends and some of my friends and family have done this for me.

    Hire someone you know and trust to do it for you.
    Draw up a simple contract that you can both sign that simply states what is what. This will avoid any confusion later.
    Most importantly, make sure that person has up to date auto insurance.

    If you don't know someone who can/would do this for you, I'd be happy to do it for you. I'll do it as cheap as anyone (who doesn't live in FL or IL) and I can provide you with many references.


  4. Probably still pricey but have you checked with any moving van companies. My dad drove for a few companies in his life time, North American van lines, Wheaton v.l., Mayflower. They all have car haulers and will pick your vehicle up and take it too your destination.
  5. motivated

    motivated Well-Known Member

    Sep 6, 2004
    I know this sounds loco but, what about a college student you know or relative?
    It might be cheaper to purchase a 1 way ticket.

    COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

    Nov 27, 2004
    NW NJ's lakeland hills
    Does your mother know any Illinois snowbirds? It will soon be time for them to return to their northen homes and maybe you could get an older couple to drive it back when they return for the warmer months. Pay for the gas and their lodging on the road.

    The other cheap option is to hop on a plane and drive it back. Plane tickets can be bought cheap online and if you fly off peak they are even cheaper. You could spend a night with Mom and probably just have to pay for one nights stay on the road.
  7. patarini

    patarini Well-Known Member

    Nov 19, 2004
    Call landstar ranger or another owner op company running flatbeds -- then offer a price per mile to the destination and see what happens -- what u want is a driver with a partial load who wants to pick up a few hundred! Also think about a notice at a local truck stop! Also the easier to load/unload the better! Good luck! sorry i pull a reefer now or I would help!
  8. BCR

    BCR Well-Known Member

    Jun 24, 2002
    There has to be some college kid from Illinois who would love a free ride back from Spring for you, but probably much riskier than a service.

    Or consider buying a friend a roundtrip cheap ticket (there are sales making it $118 RT anywhere) and then pay them to drive it back, and pay their expenses (hotel, etc.).

    Could you pay for a RT ticket for your MIL and a friend (who'd help her)to drive it up there and fly them back? They'd only use one way of the ticket, but RT is often cheaper.

    Is the car worth what it would cost to get it to you?
  9. Quint

    Quint Well-Known Member

    Nov 12, 2004
    I've done quite a bit of that kind of thing. There are people who will do it for you. Usually I was given a plane ticket to get me someplace and then I'd drive the car or truck back. That or the other way around. Sometimes cars, sometimes bigger ryder type trucks and the like. Worked for a few car dealers. Drove a big flatbed truck carrier and picked up suburbans once.

    Try just asking someone you trust who might be out of work. Easy money.
  10. Ken Scharabok

    Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

    May 11, 2002
    I'm with the others. Find someone you can trust, such as an older child of a neighbor looking for some pocket money. They get a one-way ticket to your Mom's and then drive the car back. As noted, check with your auto insurance company on your coverage.

    Other attractive option was the returning snowbird. One drives their vehicle and the other drives yours. Have your Mom ask around.

    Ken Scharabok
  11. Thatch

    Thatch Well-Known Member

    Jun 25, 2002
    I had my 68 barracuda shipped from mid Arkansas to Eastern North Carolina for about $700 bucks, fully insured and on a car carrier, with door to door pickup and drop off. The folks that did it were and they were very professional. The quotes I got were in the $700 - $1200 range... most around 800-900. Just thought I'd let you know in case your numbers are coming in quite a bit different than these.

    Remember if this "friend" has an accident or the car breaks down in mid trip you may well find yourself with a bill much higher than $700 to get the car to your house. Sometimes a known quantity is a good thing.

    Best of luck what ever you do.