Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IWe have no closet space... in our master bedroom. And I am thinking about moving the guest bath (that is next to our bathroom and opens into the kitchen across the hall. It would open into the hallway and I could use the old space for a closet . It would be the prefect size and placement . Only thing is the cost of moving the tub, sink and toilet.. since this new bathroom would back up to my kitchen and the sink and dishwasher are on that wall it should not be too expensive--- should it??

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
As with most things the answer is; it depends. If you do it yourself it would be that expensive, especially if you reuse most of the furnishings.

If you have to pay a carpenter, plumber and electrician and buy all new stuff it would probably be fairly expensive.

My first thought is to consider how much the guest bathroom is used and for what. Then I would consider either just making it a closet and not replacing it or making it a 1/2 bath by taking the tub out and using that space as your new closet. Either of those options would be cheaper.

One thing is your toilet needs a larger drain than your sink that means you will have to either plumb into the old one or run a new line. Again depending on how things are set up this can be quick and easy or a real pain in the rump.

Then there's dealing with codes and premits which always seems to make things cost way more than necessary.

Reactions: RichNC

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cheap way is to leave the guest bath and make the closet in the other room. Which is no big deal but less convenient ... the other room is much larger and already has tons of shelves. Which can easily be pulled out and add hanging bars... Which is what dh wants to do... The guest bath is used a lot. We have over night guest about two weekends out of the month. This bath is also the one my grandson uses when he is with us ..which is almost every Friday. So the entire bath has to stay. My dh could easily do it but he is to old to be crawling around u under the house for days, so that part has to be contracted out! Everything else we can do.. We are planning on replace the toilet and sink to accommodated our tall family. These are my size (very short).

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
Why not get one or two of those wardrobe-type storage cabinets for your bedroom instead of the big remodel? They come in a number of different configurations.

Our old farmhouse has little closet and pantry space too, so our large mudroom has three storage cabinets for clothing and food supplies, plus two chests of drawers and several file cabinets.

Peg

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
We took our tiny existing master bath and expanded it out over an unused deck area. Reused a newish toilet, had leftover cork flooring from kitchen, bathroom fixtures bought on clearance...it is not a luxury bath by any means. New toilet and shower plumbing but vanity wasn't moved. Still ran about $15,000 (we did none of the work though).

Do you have an outside wall you could just do a bump out for the closet? I saw that in one of my Family Handyman magazines and it looked pretty neat.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Couldn't you just get rid of the extra bathroom and plant a bush outside of the guest room window?
that at least TWO bushes would need to be provided;
a his'n and a her'n. Of course one could also be planted for the dog.:ashamed:

Reactions: Sawmill Jim

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oggie, the cat might see me!! It wouldn't work for me...too cold in the winter too many snakes in the summer!

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
We took our tiny existing master bath and expanded it out over an unused deck area. Reused a newish toilet, had leftover cork flooring from kitchen, bathroom fixtures bought on clearance...it is not a luxury bath by any means. New toilet and shower plumbing but vanity wasn't moved. Still ran about $15,000 (we did none of the work though).

Do you have an outside wall you could just do a bump out for the closet? I saw that in one of my Family Handyman magazines and it looked pretty neat.
Gota be a little careful and know a bit about what you are doing when you start cutting holes in outside walls (and some inside ones as well).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts