Moving a 2 story house?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Howdy folks! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with transporting a two story house? I found a real nice home in town and would like to move it to my property out in the woods... It is two full stories, about 2500 sq feet, and on a crawl space foundation. Vinyl siding, and wrap around porch.

I can get it real cheap because it is owned by a church that desperately wants the lot for parking and is about to bulldoze it. I have been told that in Oklahoma, they no longer will move power lines for you. The moving companies go 15 feet up and cut the top of the house off there. Then they put it back together after moving it. Anyone ever seen this or had an experience with this? One quote I got was 15 to 20k not including the new foundation. That sound good or bad? Any advice on this? If I can get this house moved for < $20k it would be well worth it.

Anyone have to finance something like this? What kind of loan would this fall under? Any and all advice is appreciated.

2. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Thats me above. Forgot to log in. :eek:

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

A young couple down the road from us did that......moved a two story house onto their land. It was moved 15 miles and the house was moved intact. I would not consider any other way of moving it. It cost them about $60,000 in total to move the house and put the basement in under it. They now have a home that would easily market for a couple hundred thousand dollars. They bought it for next to nothing from the hospital that bought the house to get the land for an expansion project.

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I've seen them moved intact here as well. A lady here owned a large parcel of land that wasnt much good for crops. She started buying up old houses and moving them out there and she now has this little village of old houses. Fixed them all up and resold them. She moved at least 3 huge 2 story victorians with porches, wings and one even has a round tower. One of them was moved a good 20 miles or so down country roads. Took better part of 2 days and it was quite a sight to see.
    I dont know about sawing the house in half. I've seen them cut off a wing and move it seperate and one big 2 story where they took the roof off and moved the rest. Unfortunately when they rebuilt the roof they did it on the cheap with a low roof and it looks pretty tacky. Obviously a paste job. Its worth the trouble if you can get it moved at a good price.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Mine came in cut 15 feet or so and had to be rejoined. I just used short pieces of 2x4 to rejoin each stud with 4 lag screws each. Replaced the wind bracing and then added a 2x3 on the flat side to each stud (2x4 studs) to make it a 2x6 wall. It's still standing 12 years later so I guess it worked.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

If I were planing on moving a house I would check out each possible route in person, before committing to anything. Look for narrow curves, steep hills, bridges, overhead wires, trees hanging over the road, fences too close to the road..... anything that might have to be moved to allow passage of the house. When you think you have found the perfect route go back over it with someone else driving so you can really pay attention for something you missed.

7. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Here is two cents:
    If the house is going to be destroyed soon....call and make arrangements with the church NOW!
    Then call three different house movers....if there are none in your phone book, call your states preservation group/dept. They have done this alot.
    The movers are going to want the majority of the money, $15-20,000, is average, up front. The rest upon completion.
    Banks don't like to lend on this type of project, especially if this is a last minute deal.
    If you don't have the cash, you might look at a renewable 90 day note, and then try to convert it to a construction loan. Might try a second mortgage on your current place.
    You are going to have alot going on in a very short time. Easy to do, but be on your toes. Make sure the foundation guy is there to meet the movers. You have to know that the foundation is going to fit the house.
    Make sure that the house hasn't been stripped of furnace, wiring, hot water heater, plumbing or architectural salvage (doors, stair parts, etc) or cabinets. These can cost alot to replace if you are not doing it yourself.
    I would offer the church one dollar for the place, or see if they will PAY YOU to remove the house. They are likely to spend thousands having it torn down.
    Consider well and septic systems, too.
    Make sure you crawl under the house to make sure there are no surprises with termites.
    We desperately wanted to move a house in our town, but would have had 90 grand in the project because the furnace was gone and land here is at a premium. I just couldnt justify the expense for a house that would have only been worth 105,000 at best.
    Good luck!
    clove

8. diane

diane Well-Known Member

The suggestions about route are very important. Even the pros involved in the neighbor's move made a couple of judgment errors which cost time and extra money with the power company. Over head wires can be handled, but you pay for it. The route had been all set for this house, but one bridge was too narrow when they got to it and a re-route had to be planned. Check carefully on who you hire. Cheaper might not be better. Some guys can bid on a job and have a whole string of very unhappy customers. Have a contract clearly stating who is responsible for damages, both to you home in transport and other people's property. That puppy is heavy and if they accidently hit something like someone's expensive custom made mailbox......who pays? The neighbor had a bunch of damage to one of the porches from some trees that were not carefully scoped out prior to the move. I have some really awesome photos of this huge, victorian style home coming up a hill past a bunch of amish farms.

9. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm looking into moving a house that is slated for demolition also. Find out how much the church was going to pay to have th house demo'ed and offer to take the house off of their hands for 1/2 that cost. They write you a check to remove the house and you have at least part of the money to move the house.

10. I've got a 50+ minute video CD of a 2 story house move of about 60 miles last December to my place. If you'd like to have a copy of the CD which you can play on a computer with CD drive or a CD player, I can send it to you for $10 ppd. Email me at: riverranch82@hotmail.com

bruce

11. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I can't really answer your question about cutting the second story off and moving it separate (but I have heard of it being done). I just wanted to say that I think it's absolutely amazing what these house movers can do. I had my house moved (1,400 sq. ft. single-story) into a little clearing in the woods. I have the same conversation with everyone that's seen it...

"Did you build this house?"
    "No, I had it moved here."
    "How did they get it in here??!!!?!"

I can't answer that last question because I couldn't bring myself to watch - I just knew something bad was going to happen (like the house falling off or something). They had to bring it 1/4 miles across a pasture, down a little hill with a sharp left at the bottom, then a sharp right 100 ft further on, then down another slope and then set the house across the slope. The mover said they only needed two feet of clearance on each side and I don't think they had that much.

The only problem they had was on the country road leading to the house. It didn't quite fit under a huge old tree that had branches reaching across the road. Although we had the right to cut the branch, I had them cut a notch out of the roof to squeeze it by. The neighbor was *extremely* appreciative. But I just couldn't face mutilating that beautiful tree.